Catching up (OT)

Normspeed

Been off the internet a lot in the past few weeks. After my big road trip I spent a lot of catch up time at home. Got my motorsickle all tuned and spiffed up for summer riding, and made some progress on the old tractor too. Then about 3 weeks ago I woke up feeling like I'd been socked in the eye. Within a week I found it was shingles. Damn, that stuff hurts. Been laid out since then, pounding antivirals and prednisone. Had a bad reaction to the oxycontin they gave me for the pain, so it's been real agony. Also affected my eyesight. I'm slowly coming back now though.

Been checking new posts on the forum when I can, and it's great to see so many new members posting since I left in February. Nice to see the old guard hanging in there too. While it was sick it was comforting to see posts from folks like Mackster, 47Heaven, Mr. Belvedere, Blueskies, and even that Undercoatney guy.

Here's a question. I sifted through some 1500 digital photos taken over two months of travel. Got it down to about 460 good ones. All MPEGs and some have captions. Folder can be sorted by filename and viewed as a slide show. Now I want to share with a lot of folks, by mailing CDs and uploading to something like Photobucket. But the folder is 60 mb. So hoiw can I put this onto a single CD for mailing? Create a self extracting zip file? Never mastered that skill. Any suggestions computer gurus?

I'll be glad to send the finished set to anyone here that likes old cars, nice scenery, and of course, dogs. Just let me know where to send. Here aare a few teasers.

post-64-13585350416256_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585350416678_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585350416951_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585350417326_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585350417676_thumb.jpg

Norm,

Having experienced shingles myself I can comiserate with you. Nasty and painful. Two and a half years later I still have some remaining bumps. My doctor tells me there is a vaccine for it now and I am probably going to get it since it can re-occur and I would rather not go through that again. Until I contracted shingles I thought getting over the chicken pox was a good thing since you were now immune to them. I didn't know that having chicken pox is what leads to shingles.

Jim Yergin

Ouch....40 years ago when I was a young man of 21 I had shingles. It was concentrated all the way around my mid section. Very painful ! I went to the doctors the other day for a checkup and the doctor said now that I am 60 I should be vaccinated for the shingles. I told her about having them 40 years ago and said I thought I couldn't get them again. She said wrong ! I am more susceptible to them now than ever so I had the vaccination. Hope it works.

Nice photos Norm. Get well soon Norm.

Good to hear from you, glad you're on the way to recovery. Went to a show the other day and there were some tractors there. Everythig from a Penn Panzer, complete with Plymouth differential, to a big John Deere Diesel. In between there were several smaller JD, a McCormack, and a couple Internationals a Farmall or two and two very nicely restored AC's. Talked to the owner told him about your cross desert trips. He seemed envious of you ability to hope on and go crosslots with a destination in mind. His tractor I think was a bit younger edition of your mode, but had the wide stance front end.

He started it with the crank and ran it for a while no smoke no unusual noises.

Hey Norm, I was wondering where you were, sorry to hear about you being sick. I hope you are feeling better. I was thinking about you last week-end, The Vintage Nationals were at Auto Club Dragway. I was going to go, I thought I had the 50 running real good. The saturday before I thought I would practice some starts, when I reved it up with my foot on the brake and then floored it, it would just fall on it's butt. I didn't have time to fix it so I was a no show. I will be ready next year. Tony

Hi Tony, Grandadeo tells me there is a good thread about the Antique nats over on the HAMB but I haven't viewed it yet. This weekend was also the L.A. Roadster Show, my all-time favorite, and both Lee and I missed it for the first time in many years.

I've been suffering from cabin fever, being cooped up for so long indoors due to the ailment. Yesterday I felt better so I got out and did three simple woodworking projects, and last night I began my template for an aluminum heat shield to go under my cranky B&B carbs. Just getting my hands on some work again made me feel much better.

Maybe next year I can make it to the Antique Nats/Roadster Show. I'm still working on that elusive 19.999 second quarter mile. you know.:D

If you have a newer past 4 years or so computer you can use a dvd which holds a lot more then a cd I think you may be able to use both sides but not sure.

I think being retired has something to do with forum use since I retired I am on less, maybe I had more free time when I was working ;)

Ed

I think you nailed it Ed. I used to check in on MSNBC news a lot when I worked. It's not even bookmarked on my home computer. I'm going to look into an external dvd drive for my set for those photos.

I've started feeling a lot better the past couple days since I giot the extreme pain under control with non-prescription herbals. Amazing results. So, not being one to under-do, I took off with the son and daighter in law for a little 150 mile bike loop from desert to local mountains and back. That was about my limit and tonight I'm exhausted, but it was a beautiful ride. My Shadow is as good as it's been in a long time, and I spent a few bucks recently on some fresh accessories, like new bags, wind deflector, mirrors, tires, fork seals. Here we stopped at a small silver mining ghost town about 50 miles from home. Worst part of the ride, it was windy, and my eye is still real sensitive, so I was wearing prescription glasses under wraparound shades, plus a helmet screen and the wind deflector to keep the irritation down. It worked.

post-64-13585350465896_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585350466412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Normspeed

Who is that behind those Foster Grants. Hey Bud, looks like you're on the upswing of the health thing. Bike is looking good too. I was in mourning all weekend. Wore 3 or 4 different LA Roadster's Show shirts in memory of all the good times we had. Tim saw Tommy drive by his house so I guess he didn't make it either. I'm shooting for 2014 - the 50th annual show, but maybe sooner. The pics on H.A.M.B are killin me. I guess no one has showed up a your door yet looking to crash on the way home.

Lee

Here's a question. I sifted through some 1500 digital photos taken over two months of travel. Got it down to about 460 good ones. All MPEGs and some have captions. Folder can be sorted by filename and viewed as a slide show. Now I want to share with a lot of folks, by mailing CDs and uploading to something like Photobucket. But the folder is 60 mb. So hoiw can I put this onto a single CD for mailing? Create a self extracting zip file? Never mastered that skill. Any suggestions computer gurus?

I'll be glad to send the finished set to anyone here that likes old cars, nice scenery, and of course, dogs. Just let me know where to send. Here aare a few teasers.

I'm not that much of a photo junkie, but here's two ideas for you. The first is getting a Flickr account. Its an online photo sharing site run by Yahoo! Their free account allows 100mb of photos to be uploaded per month. You can choose to have those photos to be seen by anyone and their grandma, or you can set it to private, where you select what individuals are granted access to certain photos.

If you feel that is not enough, there is a "pro" account that costs 24 bucks for the whole year which allows an unlimited number of photos to be uploaded. That may be cheaper than making and mailing cds for everyone you want to send them to.

The one thing nice about online hosting like Flickr is you can always go back and send links or files of old photos. Say you had a photo of you and Meg Ryan riding in a 1958 Porsche from a few years back, and Meg was curious if she could see a copy of it, in a matter of a few seconds she could find the photo.;)

Flickr also lets you browse photos, search photos, make photo "sets" (similar to folders or albums), and you can view as a slide show. No one needs any software on their computer to see the photos, only internet access.

As for the photo cd, if you were accurate in stating the folder size was indeed 60 mb, then that should fit on a cd without a problem. I would just copy the pictures or the folder directly to the cd. Most computers (post 1997 --which was 12 years ago) have built in photo viewing software, so they would just open the cd folder, and their photo viewing program would allow them to look at the photos individually or as a slide show.

Here's a link to Flickr's FAQ: http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#65

Here's a link to my account. Just set it up like last week, took about a total of five minutes to set up. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39496385@N02/