Build Thread : The Bonneville experiment.....

Ok. It might be a long shot, but I'm gonna give it a try. Drive my 1950 Dodge Pilothouse into the horizons of Bonneville at 130 mph. The truck is not done. It will not be a trailer queen, not "show" worthy, or even get an invite to a local Rat Rod meet when its "done". It's gonna be ripped and ready to race, that's it. I have 4.5 months to "finish" the project.....here's where I'm at.

Volare front end installed.

408 stroker

904 tranny with shift kit

Orginal gas tank and location

72' Charger leaf springs

68' 8.75 rearend

Gear ratio to be determined

I plan on doing a variation of buds Dakota firewall install, I plan on putting a cover of some sort over the bed, I plan on keeping a stock "look", and I plan on having fun. I am completely open to sugestions at this time, cuz I can't believe I've thought of everything....yet. If anyone wants to go, or bring a truck to do the same....post away! Here's some links to the Bonneville sites im using. Oh yea....this was all Bob's idea. :D

48D

http://www.bonnevilleracing.com/130-mph-club.asp

http://www.saltflats.com/I30%20Club.html

1992 Dodge Dakota

018.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

1950 Dodge PH (that's a mock-up motor, geez, relax Don....lol)

2009BBQ002.jpg

WOW !!!!! According to this calculator the Chrysler six I installed in Ole Yeller is putting out 180 hp cause I had it up to 75 mph a few times on the way to Tim's BBQ.

Once I install the factory truck dual intake and exhaust and take it up to 80 mph it should be puttin out 215 horses....according to the calculator.

48D,

I think you've already accomplished something no one ever has. You used "Dodge Pilothouse" and "130 MPH" in the same sentence. I admire your conviction. Good luck.

Thanks Mario! I can't say I'm the first to say that, but I can say, you don't hear it often enough. lol. I wanna keep the truck "stock looking" and make a landspeed that is Official. I have to hold 130 through the speed traps twice! In other words, two separte passes. I have to make a calibration run up to 100 first. So actually, three passes total. Not quite like hitting 130 in the 1/4 mile in a sudden burst of speed. It requires a little more endurance on the part of the truck.

48D

Get in line!

Don, you are amazingly RIGHT-ON with your calculation. This beast is 921 hp, even though a Cheby engine. And for $18K it can be yours!

AT THE TRACK

Vehicle Weight: 2900lbs

1/8 mile ~ 6.20’s @ 108 mph

¼ mile ~ 9.30’s @ 142 mph

But it's good to see a reincarnated Pilothouse body at the line!

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1157311723.html

(Ps): Not mine of course, I just came across it looking for B3B parts in Texas)

Jim in Dallas

post-105-13585350025683_thumb.jpg

post-105-13585350026673_thumb.jpg

Hey Jim,

I love that truck. I have all the images of it saved on my computer for awhile now, including his video clips. But drag racing is a different animal than what I'm doing here. Apparently the salt will let your tires start slipping at around 100 mph. Not to mention the uneven surface of the track. Lot different than the asphalt I'm used to. Guess I won't be doing any burn outs before I start. lol.

48D

His B3B is a little too rodded for me (more from my lack of knowledge in this are), but to each his own. I love to see the Pilothouse make its way in competition any way it can. Good luck on your project, you will certainly be the 'oldest (as a B1B) to hit the 130mph mark). We look forward to seeing you on YouTube.

Jim in Dallas

great start on a great idea. It was awesome talking with you last week also. I noticed in the pic of the dakota inside cab that you have the bracket for the emergency brake. any chance of holding on to that for me? I think I let mine go with the scrapper. Although I won't be able to actually be there when you plan to make the run, I will be there in spirit. If I can help in any way, let me know. Bud

Hey Bud,

Appreciate your time on the phone too, you're as nice as your post's suggest. lol. I got the firewall idea from you Bud, so sure, the E-Brake bracket is yours. Ed has dibs on the rockers.

Good question woodscavenger. Anyone know of a flathead six buildt for racing that's in a truck? I know of a few cars, but not how fast they are.

Which reminds me. The nicest lookin' thing on the truck will be its racing decals. Don't want to misrepresent the club or the forum, so if no one minds, I'd like to put the "DPETCA" and Pilot-house.com's "B series" Logo on my truck. The door will have an "Estrada MotorSports" and, of course, the number "45". I'm doing this for fun, but take racing very seriously. The last thing I would do is build something not race worthy or unsafe.

48D

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy getting ready for Bonneville. Filling out paperwork, asking for time off, and of course building the truck. I have to be in Utah for tech on the 15th, then the actually event "World of Speed", which is the 16th through the 19th. I get 5 runs total to make 130 mph twice. I have 4 days to do this. I'm selling as many spare parts I have to fund the trip, so anything you guys can think of...hopfully I have it. lol.

Ed. Got the driver side rocker panel for you and half of the passenger side for the dakota. Let me know how to get it to you.

48D

Edited by 48dodger

Hey Bud,

Working on a few pictures to share, but most of the work has been parts gathering. I have a wrecking guy saving a steering wheel/collum, brake assembly, gas pedal, and e-brake for me (dakota), a decal guy, and a few others doing miscelaneous work for me. I've been searching for 15x5.5 in the junk yards around here with no luck. I'm buying a pair from Dutch. The 15x7's are yet to be found. The paperwork has been a bit of a project in itself. None of it is done online. Entry form, medical forms, participant release, Club membership (USFRA), and the Radio Announcer information form....all have to be filled out and mailed. Add the paperwork to get time off, reserving two hotel rooms in two different locations and getting everyone on the same page and , and...and...I think I need an event coordinater.... lol. I do have a full time job, two kids in High School, a ranch to take care of, not to mention a shop where my part time money is made (ie race money)......this project is being done during my personal time which is what it is for now...small...lol. I promise to have pictures as soon as it gets interesting.:D

48D

P.S. while tearing down the 48 truck for Bryan's truck (member from elk grove, ca) I did do a quick video of how to remove the front sheet metal and cab for newbies. I had parts laying out so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll post that soon.

What class are you planning on running in and how many safety mods are needed to pass tech? Most columns are primarily a collection of shafts inside tubing so after dissassembly, can be cut down to the needed length, rewelded and reassembled.

Its the "130 class". I want to use a Dakota steering collum, but Bud brings up a good point. By moving the Dakota firewall in to clear the back side of the engine, I'm adding "interior length" to the collum. My only saving grace might be the racing seat. I'll place the collum first and see where the seat will end up.

48D

Found an awesome website. These guys kept thier truck closer to original than I am (engine suspension, not looks), but the 2006 story they tell is very inspiring. They weren't in the 130 mph class. I don't understand all the classes yet, but they mention they got to 110 on asphalt but only 97 on the salt, 5 mph from the record they were going for. The 2007 story is incomplete. Oh...and check out the vehicle transport...lol...I love it.

48D

http://www.lindertech.com/gas/index.html

You can see his 2006 results here under Linder/Basala XF/PP

http://www.saltflats.com/aresults091406.htm

lti-car-show-011.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

bonne_mtns.jpg

Its the "130 class". I want to use a Dakota steering collum, but Bud brings up a good point. By moving the Dakota firewall in to clear the back side of the engine, I'm adding "interior length" to the collum. My only saving grace might be the racing seat. I'll place the collum first and see where the seat will end up.

48D

the bracket on the bottom of the column moves up some, but not enough to not have the steering wheel up against my chest. I may be able to shorten it, but it is a collapsible column and I don't think I want to mess with the fluting.

Figured out the class. Now I have to double check the rules to confirm I can race in the 130 class. I posted two links, one is the SCTA (governs speed records) and an Aussie site that has an easy way to look over the rules. Anyone who wants to help interpt the rules, I'd be very grateful.

type of truck: 1946 and up- PP

engine: 408 ci -B

B/PP

http://www.scta-bni.org/

http://www.dlra.org.au/carclass.htm#PP

48D

Edited by 48dodger

• 1 month later...

I'm on the road to Colorado and stopped by to check out Bonneville.

Actually looked a little intimdating, lol. The salt was soft and felt like snow in some areas.

055.jpg

047.jpg

Played with the Dakota firewall and decided to go a different route. I really like the potential, but my racing ways are hard to ignore. lol.

001.jpg

I'm putting in a 14g floor and firewall with an under frame. I'm also fabricating a racing style steering column. I'm using the Dakota brake set-up and gas pedal. I've got most of the bugs figured out and will post more pictures soon.

006.jpg

007.jpg

003.jpg

48D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 48Dodger changed the title to Build Thread : The Bonneville experiment.....