wiring

wild_dodge

Took the harness out of my '52 Dodge B1B. JUNK!!!! After seeing what that looked like, I wouldn't drive accross town with that stuff. Now building a new harness, (see earlier post by Greybeard) I am waiting for wires and connectors, will be new and 12 volt. (See inserts, it is my work desk) I think the 6 volt / 12 volt decision is individual but the wiring is a SAFETY item, like the brakes.

My advice if you are doing what Paul is is to wire it as 6v and then run either 6 or 12. I rewired most of my coupe this past spring. Between the factory wiring diagram and the old harness I was able to duplicate it quite nicely. I used mostly 12 and 14g. There is a little 10 for a couple things. Some of the lights and things were 16 but I used 14 for all of that to save on buying so many varieties.

Ed, I am doing the same thing, more 14 ga and less 16 ga. Question: If I read you correctly, once I have a new harness, I can go either 6 or 12 volt. One possible challenge with 6 has to do with radios and other accessories, is that correct?

PF

If you wire it as 6v then you can do either. If you wire it with the smaller wire gauge that is required for a 12v system then you will be stuck with 12v unless you wire again. Unless you want a booming stereo a simple 6v to 12v inverter will get you going.

Took the harness out of my '52 Dodge B1B. JUNK!!!! After seeing what that looked like, I wouldn't drive accross town with that stuff. Now building a new harness, (see earlier post by Greybeard) I am waiting for wires and connectors, will be new and 12 volt. (See inserts, it is my work desk) I think the 6 volt / 12 volt decision is individual but the wiring is a SAFETY item, like the brakes.

I have a 1948 truck and just wondering where you got the complete wiring diagram? Does it tell how long to make the individual wires? Would like a copy so I can do what you are doing. My wiring is all but none existant and what is there is in bad shape.

Lee Litherland

(tinlizzy)

I must say, I got a copy of Allan's wire harness drawings from Dave (grey beard) when I was in the process of rebuilding mine. I looked it over and studied it a bit, but in the end I used my old harness and the wire diagram from my service manual and made up my new harnesses. The wire diagram stated wire color and size, and what was left of the old harnesses gave me the lengths I needed. Some sections I laid out and built in place as I was assembling my truck. I did this because I modified them some to add turn signals and etc.

My truck is still 6 volt, positive ground and it starts and runs will. I see no need to convert to 12 volt unless you want to run a modern electronic ignition or something like that. Otherwise a good 6 volt - 12 volt converter will be adequate for any minor accessories. I got one from Meyer Electronics and plan to install it this winter. http://www.pressenter.com/~cmeyer/

If a 6 volt system won't crank you engine well enough to start it easily, then you need to upgrade your battery cables, or have your starter checked. I believe the original battery cables were 1 gauge, but I recommend 0 gauge or heavier. I have 00 gauge cables in my truck (because that's what I have laying around at the time) and it cranks strong.

Merle