rear end swap

hucks 50

not all rear gears will measure the same way..while one may have a 58 inch backing plate to backing plate as compared to say a 56 ..the flange to flange could very well be the same according to size of brakes affixed to the wheel..it is sometimes best to take the all important track width measurement when considering what rear gear to use...keep in mind when doing this also the backset of the stock wheel..as that will also throw a kink in the works...

Later years I believe didnt have the 2.94. I dont recall that one listed as available when i was researching my 94. Also there is one ratio that is 2wd only.

Ed..you are correct..they were not listed in the later years...however as most of us are doing a transfer of the unit and keeping the 5 lug..odds are you may come across the higher ratio...(pre-94) again, find the ratio is just a matter of upping the hood on the Dakota...it will be there in black and white for you to read....ratio, engine, tranny, brakes...etc

The only drawback to the Dakota I found was that ring and pinion sets are not as heavily supported by the aftermarket and were a little expensive for the 8.25. I paid $100 more for a 3.73 set for the 8.25 compared to a Dodge 8.75 or a Ford 8.8 set.