Is a 41 dodge pickup a good restoration project

Guest k11hanks

Should I buy the truck as a restoration project?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy the truck as a restoration project?

• yes, it is good project and parts are readily available
    • yes, but parts are hard to find
    • yes, good luck
    • no

Guest k11hanks

I am considering purchasing a 41 dodge 1/2 ton pickup. It is in very good condition. I am concerned that I will not be able to find parts. I know it needs passenger door glass and rear cab glass. Not sure what else it will need.

Any suggestions were I can find parts?

Is this a good truck for a project? :confused:

post-2091-13585347227987_thumb.jpg

post-2091-13585347228181_thumb.jpg

post-2091-13585347228319_thumb.jpg

post-2091-13585347228464_thumb.jpg

Most of the parts are pretty easily found. That glass you need is flat and any shop should be able to cut it for you. For the door you can use the other side as a pattern. Here are the hard to find parts that you should check. Windshield frame. They are prone to rusting out under the glass and along the bottom channel where the weather strip goes. The gastank can be hard to find if its rusted out or caved in. Rear fenders are kinda hard to find but those look pretty good. Check them for previous repairs. Most of your parts interchange 41-47 with the exception of the lower grill stainless. That was eliminated post war. From the interior shot of your truck it was probably black when new. My truck is the same way but they did paint the dash. My firewall and other various parts are still black.

1. Parts are not hard to come by. I've recently restored a 1949 Dodge 1/2 ton. There are lots of folks who are very willing to help out.

2. This vehicles are so simply engineered, you will be amazed.

3. Engines are the same. Even car parts interchange with truck parts.

4. EBAY, that's all I need to say. I've bought lots of parts off ebay.

5. A truck is much easier to restore than a car.

6. Pilothouse forum is a great help even though this one isn't a Pilothouse, many things are very similar.

7. It's a great looking truck. I love the styling of the model. Red body with black fenders is very striking.

Hope this helps. By the way, it's very dangerous asking a bunch of addicts if you should buy an old truck like this one.

Of course we'd say YES!

Richard, owner of Bouncy B

Seems like a decent price to me. There is a 40 plymouth pickup on craigslist here in MN that is all complete but sitting in the mud up to the axles and basically has no paint on it. They want 1800 for it. So I think you are doing ok. Engine to be the correct truck one should be a T116 block I think. Might be a T112 otherwise.

I am considering purchasing a 41 dodge 1/2 ton pickup. It is in very good condition. I am concerned that I will not be able to find parts. I know it needs passenger door glass and rear cab glass. Not sure what else it will need.

Any suggestions were I can find parts?

Is this a good truck for a project? :confused:

Regardless of the price, if you can easily find parts or not, there is only one important thing that makes the truck a good or bad project.

Do you like the truck? If so it'll make a great project. If not, it'll make a bad project.:)

Guest k11hanks

I bought the truck for my wife. She wanted and old pickup to ride around town. I think her dream just became a lot of work for me and I can wait to get started.

The 6 to 12 volt conversion needs to be redone. The previous owner fried the coil and I want to make sure it is done right. Currently no brakes. The pedal goes to the floor with no resistance. Any ideas? I haven't shecked into it yet. Two of the hub caps are Plymouth and I am missing a window crank and an interior door handle. Other than that it is pretty much complete.

My goal is make it run first and make it pretty later. :eek:

The dodge caps you need are the same as a few years of cheap cars. The trucks use 9inch caps instead of 10s. Brakes probably need a complete going over. Master cylinder wheel cylinders etc.

I working on a list of parts that'll work in that rig. Stuff you can buy at NAPA or Carquest (only shops near me).

If you play around on NAPA's website before you go it's easier if you have part #'s in hand. It's mostly computerized and the young workers cannot cope without a VIN #, year, make and model at times.

I know NAPA carries a whole rebuild set for the L6 engine and a lot of other stuff including master cylinders, fuel pumps, etc.

I also have several links to parts supplies for this truck.

CC

1947 1/2 Ton WC 2WD Dodge

I have this list I compiled 8 years ago when I did my truck. Some double checking might be good since its an old list

Master Cylinder

Raybestos MC544

Rear axle inner seal

Federal Mogul 471862

Pinion seal

CR 18880

Brake light pressure switch

Echlin SL 133

Rear axle bearing/race

SKF 2735x/2780

Front outer wheel bearing

BCA 09074

Front inner wheel bearing/race

BCA 2735x & 14125a

Wheel cylinder

Raybestos 6353 & 6354

Brake house

Raybestos BH4900

Fan Belt(narrow)

Napa 7490

After buying a basket case 1931 Ford Coupe and completing it, I hankered for a convertible so I sold the A and bought a 70 Dodge Challanger and restored it. Then after 7 years I hankered for a pickup project so I hunted for 54 Fords. Made a fatal mistake, I added up how much it was going to cost me and I bought a new Ranger instead.

Two years ago I finally got around to filling the pickup void when I found a nice Pilothouse.

So go for it.

Dennis