Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Tire Machine anyone keep one outside

oldmopar

I picked up a old coats tire machine yesterday and not sure if I will have room for it inside. I was thinking of keeping it outside maybe cover it with a plastic trash can to keep the weather off it and the wife happy and was just wondering if anyone else keeps one outside. Its a manual machine and got it and a basic bubble balancer for $25.00 seemed like a fair price so I brought it home.

Amazing place this internet I did a search and found a parts listing for it.

Ed

post-56-13585346458953_thumb.jpg

post-56-1358534645942_thumb.jpg

Looks like my Coates "Iron Tire-man".

I'd just spray the moving parts good with kerosene or PB Blaster, etc, then tip the can (plastic can would be less prone to condensation than a metal one) over it, maybe using some blocks to keep the can rim off the ground, for air to circulate.

A buddy has one that dosn't even get covered; he just puts the cone and "run-around" iron in the shed.

These are great for guys like us... got mine for $35 this spring; I have seen them fetch three-figures at swap meets...

De Soto Frank

maybe you can build a small shelter over it. You can cleanup the machine, paint it. If you have a small open sided shep with a roof, you could change tires, whether it's raining, snowing, or too hot. Or just cover it with a plastic type container, but mount it firmly first on a nice concrete pad

De Soto Frank , sounds like we have the same machine it says Coats tireman Model 3 star. Here is a link to a parts manual I found

http://www.aescosc.com/pdfs/c%20_tc_3%20star.pdf

Norm, the tire machine is only a small part of my backyard I have about a dozen vehicles around I think she would like to plant the flower pot over me

Rockwood funny you mention concrete this machine was sunk about 2" into a concrete floor when I picked it up

Ed, forget the wife. Where I live you could never have that many cars sitting in the yard, so it wouldn't matter if she cared or not. To begin with they'd have to be on a paved surface, even then we wouldn't get away with that many old cars sitting around the yard. Even down in Louisville my cousin was told to clean the cars out of the back yard. He was a mechanic who also built & drove race cars, and also ran a repair shop out of his garage. I don't know how some of you guys get away with having that many sitting outside.

Looks identical to mine..it has been out of doors for about 20 years...I do keep it painted...seems to weather most excellent..the tools however saty indoors and as such out of the weather...with the more modern positive offset wheels on todays car this model will do well to have about 4 more threads welded onto the top of the center post so the center will screw down and lock it into place..this is what I did with mine..little stick weld..shape the threads with the right angle grinder and paint..the darker green pointed item is slipped over the locking stud that inserts into a lucg hole of the rim for when working the taller positve offset rims..

PS...appreciate the link to the IPB..have never looked for it but glad to have it save to the computer...

MVC-020F.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest larry loyd

Hi Bob,

Nice changer you picked up, great accessories and great price. I too have just picked one up, a Model 3 Star. It is in great shape but unfortunately the top bead breaker that fits over the top shaft has been redone over the years and looks nothing like the one shown on the parts list that this thread referenced to. Could you do me a big favor and show a close up of the top bead breaker with some measurements so that I can fabricate a new one?

I sandblasted the unit yesterday, replaced some bolts and primed, ready for a coat of red. It looks great already.

I did not get the bar with the rollers on the end either, I wonder how hard it would be to fabricate a new one?

Thank you very much,

Larry Loyd

Larry, I will get the photo and some measurements in a few days as its buried in a shed with spare parts ,I will send you a PM when I get the information for you.

Here is a link where someone made their own tire machine this may give you a idea how to make the missing parts

Ed

http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1984-11-01/A-Do-It-Yourself-Shop-Made-Tire-Changer.aspx

My buddy has one very similar. He has lag bolted a piece of steel to his garage floor. This has a couple hole with nuts welded on that align with the mounting bolts of the tire changer base. When not needed, it lives in the corner of the garage. when neded it gets moved over to the blate bolted on and used, then unbolted and put back in its storage spot.