Project 48 build thread

falconvan

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back yesterday from a weeks vacation at Lake of the Ozarks. Very relaxing, just a week of fishing and reading. No email, internet, TV, or work; I feel like a new man. I spent today on the car before I have to go back to work tomorrow. Just did a couple small things but it took most of the day. I built a drop and a floor mount for the steering column along with figuring out the mount for the master cylinder and finished modifying the brake pedal bracket.

post-2128-13585362088395_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362088623_thumb.jpg

post-2128-1358536208883_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362089182_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362089457_thumb.jpg

After 4+ years of working on this, we're finally ready to shoot some primer on it. I'm cleaning up half the garage to hang plastic and we're going to shoot it over the holiday weekend. I went and bought all the paint, primer, etc to do the whole car today. Going with a 95 Porsche color; Grand Prix White. Also got my Lokar shifter mounted so I can measure where to cut the whole in the floor.

post-2128-13585362158947_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362159374_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362159733_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Tommy

I'm so ready to see some color on this thing even if it is primer gray. We were taping the body last night and talking about what life was like when this car was coming off the assembly line. WWII had only been over a short time, rock n roll hadn't been invented, if you were gay it meant you were happy and a pair of boobs referred to a couple of dumb guys. Times sure have changed.....

Yeah, it's coming along. Still a ways to go but it's starting to feel like there's more behind me than ahead of me. Today I made a bracket for the A/C/heater unit that will stay bolted in but allow me to slip the unit in and out with just removing a few screws. Here's where the A/C lines and heater hoses will exit the firewall.

post-2128-13585362237045_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362237251_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The tough part about building a car you didn't take apart is figuring out how it all goes back together. I've got parts from several different cars so I've spent some time this week going through them to pick out what I want to use and doing some trial assembly. Here's the bumpers and fillers panels, and the dash. I also think I'm going to do a recessed license plate where the big third brake light used to be on the decklid.

post-2128-13585362542854_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362543142_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13585362543536_thumb.jpg

If you gotta do a recessed license detail, the original trunk light would would be a great "topper" for the detail. I think it would make the rear look a little more stock like, while being up to date. And, make that a functional third brake light. Maybe even an eyebrow for the license light.

Follow Bills example and move it down. I've heard from others behind me its fairly hard to see in the stock location because its angled up. I did put a double filament bulb in mine to help some.