41 Dodge Starter failure / replacement parts needed?

Gentlemen,

Starter quit working today, the carshows are everywhere but the ole Gal will not work anymore ...

It's a 6V pos. ground Car, 6V works fine but the starter.

Everything worked perfectly until yesterday.

This morning there was an additional "clunk" noise when starting, the starter kept disengaging.

After starting it 3 times the starter runs idle without engaging.

I think the pinion or the movement of the pinion is a problem? Is this a common Dodge starter problem?

Is there an easy fix for this, because the car is in Germany and parts are not easy to buy here.

where can I source a replacement starter and starter ring for a D19 with a P18 engine in it?

Tried Rockauto but nu success. 

Thank you

Joe

Bildschirm­foto 2024-06-20 um 12.58.27.png

Edited by GTfastbacker

• GTfastbacker changed the title to 41 Dodge Starter failure / replacement parts needed?
5 hours ago, Sniper said:

There should be a data plate on the starter with a part number you can use to source a good starter and/or parts for you existing starter.

unfortunately not. There is no data plate on it. Just the starter.

Got a meter? start checking your circuit. I am not sure but is yours a push-button start or foot-operated?

1 hour ago, SteveR said:

Got a meter? start checking your circuit. I am not sure but is yours a push-button start or foot-operated?

it’s a foot starter. I spend many hours in maintenance on the electric. I would say it isn’t the problem. It sounds like a mechanical issue.

I am not a foot starter expert, but looking at the pics in the Motors Manual and reading your problem, it sounds mechanical. If the yoke became disconnected from the starter then it (according to the pics) will engage the starter but not engage the drive to the ring gear. Same if the spring on the shaft broke. You'll have to pull the starter and see. until then everything we say is just a guess.

Joe Lee

When you hit the foot starter pedal will the starter turn over?

If it does then there is a problem with the linkage pushing your pinion gear into the flywheel

If it does not turn over it could be the switch on top of the starter or the brushes in the starter itself. All of which is an easy repair.

I forgot to mention that the commutator may need to be turned down. any machine shop can do that.