1952 interior color chart?

Dartgame

Looking for information about the gray color used on the dash of my 52 business coupe. I think its Ditzler code DL30917 Alaska gray poly. Sound right?

I can’t help with the grey colour. If grey is what you really want, I’m sure someone will help. However, your car so if you want to change colours, go for it. I did. I personally like it better than grey. 

IMG_1612.jpeg.8bc314825bd6b1e9d93fcfc44616e142.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg.3dd7af9795365e95c0d06a5185826e83.jpeg

63375492081__7866BBB5-A7D4-4B6A-952E-D57332019773.jpeg.46eecec15c0ac5745ba8babb331a3701.jpeg

• Like 1

I like it! I'm following your lead, but with blue.  I had the dash powder-coated since it would get the most abuse, and based my color choice on what Rustoleum had in their color selection "library" that I could spray all the other interior parts, like steering column, garnish moldings, etc. I may clear them for additional protection, but the nice thing is that if you get scratches, you can easily touch them up.

IMG_8562.jpg

IMG_8563.JPG

IMG_8564.jpg

• Like 2

I like the green color - the blue is nice, but not what I'm going for.

Does anyone have a 52 service manual ? I looked in my service manual and it states astral gray poly, not alaska gray, the manual covers up to 53, thinking astral gray is a 53 color, based on an interior color chart from PPG ditzler. Mainly seeking confirmation on which is correct.

Yes I did previously and the 3rd page with the interior colors is incomplete from what I can tell. The part that's incomplete is the 51 and 52 colors - bummer.

In Jim Benjaminson's book he refers to the color as Alaska Gray, which I believe is incorrect.  I have a '52 Salesman's Data book someplace in my 'files' and as I recall they call it Astral Gray Poly.

UPDATE:  I dug out the data book and it makes no reference to interior paint color names.  I must have seen Astral Gray listed in another piece of literature.  If I find the source, I'll post it here.

Whatever the name is, it's easier to re-do than the gray woodgrain used in the '51's!

Edited by JerseyHarold
Updated info

Thanks Harold - let me know if you find it. I'm not familiar with Jim Benjaminson, nor his book, can you elaborate ?

Yes, I am thankful it doesn't have the gray woodgrain paint...Believe it or not, the dash is in excellent condition, paint is flawless, its low mileage - 40K always garaged. The car being the lowest base of all base models came with no radio, no turn signals, no heater, one horn, one sun visor, one arm rest etc. What Dad called a car with all the options, 4 tires and a steering wheel ! LOL.

I am refitting it with a radio and thus need to paint the radio plate. 

Jim Benjaminson is an officer in the Plymouth Owners' Club and a noted Plymouth authority.  One of the books he wrote is 'Plymouth 1946-1959' which is a fairly complete history of those years.  It's available on Amazon.

It might be easier in the long run to bring your existing radio delete plate to an automotive paint supplier for them to match the color electronically.  I've heard that some original paint ingredients aren't available anymore, so you'd end-up with a modern formula anyway.

It doesn't appear in my signature, but I also have a '51 Business Coupe that hasn't been registered in 50 years.  It's pretty much complete (thanks to several other cars!) but has major floor and rocker rust.   I shouldn't be too surprised because, according to the build card from Chrysler, it was originally delivered to a dealer in Detroit.  

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Harold

I confirmed the correct interior color is Alaska gray, but I cannot find a Chrysler color code number for it. Local paint stores won't or aren't able to cross reference to the old ditzler code number, they want a Chrysler number. I suppose I could dig around for a ppg auto paint store and see what they say. Frustrated, I did some playing around with spray paint in the garage. I found a cast iron engine paint made by duplicolor that is darn close to the right color as is, (a little lighter) but is satin. Next I sprayed a test sample with gloss black, allow to dry, then a couple of light coats of the cast iron gray, allow to dry and a light spray with gloss clear. Bingo. Its really hard to see the difference in color between the original part and the test sample. Next I'll try shooting the radio panel in the same manner and see what it looks like.

On 5/17/2024 at 12:13 AM, RobertKB said:

I can’t help with the grey colour. If grey is what you really want, I’m sure someone will help. However, your car so if you want to change colours, go for it. I did. I personally like it better than grey. 

IMG_1612.jpeg.8bc314825bd6b1e9d93fcfc44616e142.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg.3dd7af9795365e95c0d06a5185826e83.jpeg

63375492081__7866BBB5-A7D4-4B6A-952E-D57332019773.jpeg.46eecec15c0ac5745ba8babb331a3701.jpeg

well equipped garage complete with girlie pictures

• Like 1