Starter won't start

38plymouth

So after owning this car about 25 years I finally had a no start situation. Hit the foot starter button and nothing. I kept trying it and then finally after five tries the car started. Of course now I was afraid to drive it so I turned it off and tried it again and it didn't start it again. So this morning my first order of business is to check the cables and make sure everything is clean. If that's not it I guess I've got to pull the starter. Just looking for any advice, I've never messed with the starter on this car before. I watched Keith's video last night on YouTube showing the starter from his 38 that he has. Really hoping it's something simple I've been trying to drive the car as much as possible lately and of course now this has to happen.

Well I solved my own problem this morning after spending too much time checking the battery and cleaning all battery connections and start connections. I even pulled that little starter relay thing off the top and clean that up inside. It was kind of crappy so I figured that might have been the problem but I hit the push button start with my foot and nothing again. I started thinking it feels kind of weird though. If I pushed the relay with a screwdriver the starter would spin. I started looking closer and would you believe a bolt had fallen out of the linkage so the push button start wasn't doing its job. What should have been a 5-minute repair turned into almost two hours but at least I have clean connections now.

• Like 3

but think of the knowledge that you just received and also what you just learned about your car.  The two hours of investigating the issue was time well spent. So if this is the first true time that you spent in 25 years of ownership of the car then the two hours of your time is only a very very small fraction of total time working on the car.

Glad that you found the issue but better off is that you took the time to let everyone know what the problem was that caused the car not to start. The learning and the telling how you fixed the issue is important for all of us to know so this is another learning session for everyone.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

but think of the knowledge that you just received and also what you just learned about your car.  The two hours of investigating the issue was time well spent. So if this is the first true time that you spent in 25 years of ownership of the car then the two hours of your time is only a very very small fraction of total time working on the car.

Glad that you found the issue but better off is that you took the time to let everyone know what the problem was that caused the car not to start. The learning and the telling how you fixed the issue is important for all of us to know so this is another learning session for everyone.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

Just we understand each other, first time in 25 years touching the starter. I've spent hundreds of hours working on everything else?

• Haha 1

Ain't it so much fun playing with old cars.....lol.........regards from Oz........andyd 

• Like 1