Odd find on a fuel pump

Hatter096
Go to solution Solved by Los_Control,

I'm trying to get my P11 up and running, but among all the odd things things I keep finding this is by far the strangest so far. Today I took the fuel pump off the engine to see if anything from it was salvageable for rebuilding the one from the trunk, and as I pull it out of the engine I see a brass or copper nut on the rocker arm. So I'm curious what this is for and should I keep it for the "new" pump?

20240111_091054.jpg

20240111_091111.jpg

• Solution

Looks like a old Hill Billy trick I might use when you have a flat cam.

The lobes on the cam is flat and no longer pushes the pump lever far enough to make it work properly.

So you add cam extensions to the fuel pump. To give it more lift.  :D

I wonder if it was someones Grandfather that made that in the garage at home, or if a company actually sold them?

I can very easily be wrong here, that is what it looks like to me .... never seen one before.

The fuel pumps are still available new, although it would be nice to have a original and have it rebuilt .... almost mandatory to replace or rebuild.

The original rubber will not hold up to todays fuel and soon stop working .... if they do work now.

Agree with Los on what it probably was .   Fix for either worn arm or cam.   But the part is a split bolt normally used for larger gauge wiring splices.   The covered with lots for electrical tape.

Ken is 100# correct. Electrical split bolt for number 4-8 gauge wire, or p11  fuel pump arm extension

• Like 1