Engine stalls as I approach a stop around 15 mph.

Tom Skinner

Gents,

I ran all the electrical tests I could on my Hydraulic Transmission. Fluid in Tranny is full. Governor Points clean. All Electrical connections tight. Fuse at Tranny Relay good.

I serviced the Kickdown Piston at the rear of the Carb. Now for the problem .. The engine stalls at 15mph slowing down to stop. What could do this besides perhaps a bad ignition coil, or a bad Interrupter Switch at the Tranny? Any thoughts from someone with a similar situation. Oh yes and I cleaned the Carb Bowl Needle and Seat.

Tom when my Coronet had that problem it ended up being the wiring for the transmission. Do you have the troubleshooting manual? The Imperial club website has it available for download. It’s more comprehensive than the service manual. In my case a previous owner had spliced in new wires for the transmission but it was too small of a gauge. If that’s your issue the transmission harness is available.

I already installed a Rhode Island Trans Harness just 5 years ago. Electrical Tests seem to be pointing to either the Rear Carb Kickdown or the Kickdown Switch at the Transmission. But why would it suddenly go bad? These Fluid Drive Transmissions are pretty much Bullet Proof. I have na extra Kickdown Switch for the Tranny but it has two leads on it instead of one - like the one shown in my manual for my C-38. I believe one lead is going to ground? any Advice would be appreciated as I am electrically challenged.

How about cleaning the points on the governor. I’m probably reaching here but I agree that these units are pretty bulletproof. Try the Imperial club. The troubleshooting manual covers both up shift and down shift problems. It’s usually something simple with these.

I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be my fuel system. The fuel line started rusting and the rust particles sloughed off and clogged up the fuel pump.

I could drive the car around 30 mph just fine but when I tried to get on the highway or go up a hill it just started coughing and wheezing and refused to go any faster, though it never slowed to a stop. So it doesn't sound exactly the same as your problem but similar.

The engine stalls at 15mph slowing down to stop. What could do this besides perhaps a bad ignition coil, or a bad Interrupter Switch at the Tranny?

The anti-stall control defalant ?

This all came about when I rewired some wires under the hood in the engine area. (The Kickdown stalling). I might need to reclean the kickdown piston in the carb.

I found out how to do away with my second H;B;S Horn Relay by moving wires around. I got rid of the jumper wires that went to the regular 4 Post Horn Relay.

I had in avertedly put a wire or two in the wrong place. I have just moved the wires to their proper places yesterday during our 4 inch rain storm (near Tornado) so I was unable to test drive the car. Today I will go out and Test Drive it, and get back with the results. I am hoping it is fixed. Also the hydraulic (10wt) oil in the Tranny was a Cup (16OZ) low.

Maybe I have a cheap repair. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It is fixed!!!!!!!! 

I am not the sharpest marble in the box when it comes to electrical wiring. So I found where I had a wire or two out of place causing the downshifting to go into zugzwang.

But all is peaches and cream now (Gary Player - 1965). I just returned from a 20 mile ride and no issues what so ever. Whew I feel like Mr. Magoo another Steel Beam flew my way and caught my old car tires again. Oh Magoo you done it again! (In Jim Backus' Voice). Here's wishing you all a repair that goes like mine!

Thanks to all that tried to help!

Tom

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tom Skinner said:

hew I feel like Mr. Magoo another Steel Beam flew my way and caught my old car tires again. Oh Magoo you done it again! (In Jim Backus' Voice).

You remind me of the Mr. Magoo movie with Leislie Nielson, when his nephew Waldo fixed Magoo's car by installing a prescription windshield so Magoo could see out because he wouldn't wear his glasses. I believe the car was a 40's model because the windshield was a flat glass 2 piece, if I remember right. The movie was hilarious and Nielson did a fantastic job as Magoo even down to the Jim Baccus voice.

• Like 1