Heater set up/plumbing

dgrinnan
Go to solution Solved by Ivan_B,

Surprised that no one yet has mentioned the fuel line and plastic fuel filter right on top of the Very hot (often) exhaust manifold.

Make sure you buy full coverage, agreed value coverage for the vehicle. 

If stored indoors make sure your home insurance covers the building it is in.  Both good ideas but please move the filter and use a metal filter, not plastic, OK?

?

DJ

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

Surprised that no one yet has mentioned the fuel line and plastic fuel filter right on top of the Very hot (often) exhaust manifold.

I actually thought about it, today. And, although I would not do a setup like this myself, the fire hazard here is just average. I've actually looked into this, in connection to another thread on this board before. The air inside the engine bay does not get hot-enough to melt the filter. Otherwise, the rest of the non-metal parts under the hood would melt away. So as long as the filter is not touching the exhaust, it is good to go.

Even if it does touch the exhaust, suffers mechanical damage, or just falls apart for no apparent reason, the exhaust manifold temperature is not hot-enough to ignite the gas at atmospheric pressure. Gasoline is certainly very flammable but it is not that flammable.

Under most conditions that is correct.   However, the auto-ignition temp of a gas/air mix is about 536deg F.   I've seen exhaust manifolds glowing red after long hard usage and red cast iron can be well over 500deg, loaded trucks  or tow vehicles usually but a hard drive on a hot day can really drive up the manifold temp.   Not normal circumstances, but it could happen.  

Of course the distributor and spark plug wires are also a possible ignition sources of gas vapor, especially the arc inside the cap and weak/leaky wires. 

I am not done.  The heater line will be secured away from the fuel line/filter.  Also, the picture is deceiving.  The filter is at least 6 inches away from contacting anything on the engine.  

Edited by dgrinnan