Replacement coil for 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe

Cooper40

I'm looking into getting a new coil for my 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe. I couldn't identify any part numbers or markings on the old coil. I could see the beginnings of a "AUT" for autolite I assume. I was wondering if it mattered if I get the exact same part # for swapping coils? Would this one work? I'm still running a 6v system.

https://www.partsgeek.com/6f7xhy5-plymouth-special-deluxe-ignition-coil.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=DN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=1949-1950+Plymouth+Special+Deluxe+Ignition+Coil+Standard+Motor+Products+49-50+Plymouth+Ignition+Coil&cid=18313611776&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-6oBhBaEiwAHv1QvNLwqhpQpNwweSCXTDr4s_GWwDVT0W7908bnBmLYg1beQ_Q9wgh7DRoCecIQAvD_BwE

I'm only assuming you are just using the standard round coil that mounts on top of the engine .... Some vehicles mount elsewhere and use a special shaped coil.

You wont need anything special, just a 6 volt coil. What you are looking for now is quality .... Really is hit & miss with the available aftermarket parts today .... Most are made overseas.

I have been hearing some good reports from Standard. It is a company in Mexico making automotive products ..... My 1991 Chebby Cheyenne truck ... base model to a Silverado was made in Mexico. .... Just pointing out Mexico has been making automotive products for some time now.

So My new coil I chose to buy a standard ... I'm switching to 12 volt though .... still sitting on the shelf as I not got to wiring yet ... No review how well it works.

If I needed to buy a new 6 volt coil, I would probably choose this one ...... just my choice, others may have better choices.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-UC14T-Ignition/dp/B00809W7WC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=29T7NS4LD7FTA&keywords=6+volt+ignition+coil+uc-14&qid=1696721909&sprefix=6+volt+ignition+coil+uc-14%2Caps%2C395&sr=8-1

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

You wont need anything special, just a 6 volt coil. 

If I needed to buy a new 6 volt coil, I would probably choose this one ...... just my choice, others may have better choices.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-UC14T-Ignition/dp/B00809W7WC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=29T7NS4LD7FTA&keywords=6+volt+ignition+coil+uc-14&qid=1696721909&sprefix=6+volt+ignition+coil+uc-14%2Caps%2C395&sr=8-1

That’s the coil I use on my P15. I bought it at a local parts house that does a lot of tractor business.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1