The final gathering finished.

The honey wagon farm
Go to solution Solved by Los_Control,

At last I’ve completed the gathering of all the missing parts to begin my Hot Rod. 1938 coupe.  Finally got Headlights, Stands and Headlights all the chrome even the butterfly in the front grill.  Acquired two 332 in.³ hemi engines from a 1954 and 1956 De Soto.  I was able to purchase both cars complete at a minimum of cost. 
My question to the forum is it better to block and fit my existing frame  to except the Hemi and new rear end or search for a Ford ranger or S-10 frame complete.  

Edited by The honey wagon farm
None

I used to have a Hot Rod 34 Hudson coupe. Built 400 SBC. The stock frame was strengthened by boxing it from the front horns to the just past the firewall. That was sufficient for the engine's HP.

My point is it is probably simpler to build off the stock frame. Not sure what you plan in terms of building the Hemi but you probably have to account for weight more than HP.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate all the help from the members. I think the best option is to box in the existing frame add some existing supports rather than purchasing  other frames, and which I’d have to weld in anyway. 

I’ve been advised that a Ford bronco rear end 1990 to 1992 would be the best ratio to support the Hemi. If there is  any feedback out there let me know.

• Solution

I'm not familiar with the Bronco rear end, there are many rear ends that would work.

The two most common choices are the Ford explorer & the Jeep cherokee.

The explorer from the 1990's have the 8.8 which is pretty stout, would easily handle the HP  of the hemi, they are the correct width for your vehicle & have the same wheel bolt pattern. They have a long list of gear choices. ..... What gear choice are you looking for?

I had a 1996 explorer sport that had 4:10 gears & would make a excellent Hot Rod choice.

Or maybe you would want some 3:08 .... 3:55 for highway cruising? .... Jeep or Explorer would have them.

My 1996 had rear disk brakes, a older model would have drum brakes .... again what do you want?

Something I think is often overlooked, when you grab the rear end try and get all the E-brake cables & brackets to go with it .... they can be adapted to work for you.

Just cheaper easier to get what works with the rear end then trying to piece it together later.

Again I do not know about the Bronco Rear end, maybe it is the same 8.8 as the Explorer?

Appreciate all the help from the members. I think the best option is to box in the existing frame add some existing supports rather than purchasing  other frames, and which I’d have to weld in anyway. 

I’ve been advised that a Ford bronco rear end 1990 to 1992 would be the best ratio to support the Hemi. If there is  any feedback out there let me know.

I meant to write Ford explore and I don’t know why I type Ford bronco my mistake. Thanks for recognizing the difference.

No problem, I'm just guessing the Bronco is wider like a full size truck.

You will need to remove the spring perches from the axle tubes and weld new ones on .... not a huge job.

Any trailer supply store would sell spring perches for those building trailers or tractor supply use to sell them for $20 .... with inflation who knows now?

I've heard over in the truck forum some have installed the Cherokee rear end using the Jeep spring perches .... I dunno.

Think I would rather set the pinion angle to the vehicle when installing the spring perches.

• Thanks 1