Amsoil, I took the plunge

Normspeed

Yuk, not literally. But I did order a gallon of this stuff. After reading over the recommendations for the OD, this seems to be the ticket. I don't understand how a 10W40 can substitute for an 80W90 but the specs for the trans do mention a 40w. With shipping it works out the same per quart as the better grade stuff at Pep Boys or Kragen.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx

If it doesn't work out I'll change my online name to Clunk Kaboom.

Norm,

AMSOIL advertises itself as being for motorcycles and, while it may be the greatest thing since Post Toasties for a bike, would you risk your four wheel tranny to it?

Their ad stresses heat transfer, which can be more rapid with the thinner oil, but what about the compressive qualities of the thicker stuff?

Unless, of course, you're going to put it in a bike, in which case (to quote Gilda Radner) "Never Mind".

-Randy

I'm mainly comparing the qualities of the Amsoil to the requirements in the Plymouth manual and the Warner overdrive manual. It looks like a pretty good matchup. Most gear oils available nowadays are GL5 or hypoid lubricants. The manuals are real specific about not using hypoid oil in the OD under any circumstances. My second choice would have been Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, but it's a hypoid type. If my screen name changes from Normspeed to Clunk Kaboom, you'll know it didn't work.

Norm in the ODs we are running in Dads 50 and 51 both have plain old 80w90 gear oil in them. They shift fine and neither have died in 1000s of miles. Neither are rebuilt either. Nothing wrong with going by the book but lubricant has come along way in 50 years.

I ordered online yesterday morning and it was on my doorstep after work tonight. Shipped ups ground from Las Vegas.

Not ready to change it though, I figure I'll make one good long freeway run this weekend, get it good and warm to make sure the assembly grease is flushed out, then change to the snake oil. Maybe hook up with Mr. Belvedere out in the wilds of Banning.