Tiny hole in #6 chamber of head?

slatgrille
Go to solution Solved by Los_Control,

As related to my other posts regarding head removal and paint color, while cleaning it up I discovered a small hole that appears to be manufactured in the #6 combustion chamber. On the top of the head is a small square head fitting directly in line with the hole. Anyone know the purpose of this? Inside where the fitting attaches it appears to have a piece blocking the hole from going through the head. This is located between the back two center head bolts. 

Thanks again!

Craig

• Solution

That is a plug to locate tdc of #6 piston. .... 1 & 6 both are tdc at same time, while one is compression stroke other is exhaust stroke.

They will fill up with carbon ..... use a nail & hammer & punch it out While you have the head off.

I punched mine out with the head on, then when I started it the carbon chunk got caught in the exhaust valve seat & sounded terrible until it was pushed out through the exhaust ..... I would not recommend or do it again myself ..... maybe drill it out into small powder.

Wow! Doesn't this affect compression in #6? My Model A and WWII jeep don't have this when #1 and #4 are at TDC...seems like 'over engineering' to me. Thank you 'Los'.

Craig

14 minutes ago, slatgrille said:

Wow! Doesn't this affect compression in #6? My Model A and WWII jeep don't have this when #1 and #4 are at TDC...seems like 'over engineering' to me. Thank you 'Los'.

Craig

It's negligible. Whoever had my car before me, thought the oil gauge went in that hole....needless to say, I had to massage the oil pressure gauge back into shape. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, slatgrille said:

Craig

It's been affecting compression for about 80 years and several hundreds of thousands of engines.......  ;)

We consider it "clever" engineering.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1