Annual Spring Check-Over & Lube

keithb7

I am very surprised to see this brake line work. I cannot believe someone would go through the effort to restore a car and do this to brake lines. Hidden from sight is no excuse.  These lines are off the distribution block with brake light switch.  I’m very surprised. 

A08D3847-7474-41F2-8D81-8C9282D66541.jpeg.0695ad1e9966ce589e5f5d6c1465c105.jpeg

I’m trying to work under my car. Gracie here won”t let up on the ball throwing game.  She’ll bring the ball right under the car and nudge me if I’m distracted. 

C3F6679B-0751-4A74-9B7A-5B047F6D0757.jpeg.3e5ffa8387a6b5734732f4b311cf3488.jpeg

Stock, there's plenty of room under my car for me to move around with all 4 wheels on it, sitting on the ground. As it sits in the photo with all 4 the wheels firmly attached,  if by chance something did happen, unless part of my body was actually under a front wheel, I would not be squished. Assume those two front stands collapse; the front of the car hits the pavement, on the wheels. The rear stands cannot collapse. There is no fluid drive in a '38 car. Transmission is in gear. and driveshaft brake is in top condition, adjusted and is firmly activated. My driveway is level. As the car sits, I feel I have minimized my risks.

I raise the car so I have better light. Also the grease nipples and other parts are further away from my eyes, so I can actually focus on them while inspecting everything. Lol. I like your stands Sam, yet the height is not adjustable. I regularly work on multiple cars, trucks, trailers etc of various heights. I have 6 adjustable stands.  Fixed height stands that you illustrate, is a challenge for me.  I would require several, all of different heights. 

Edited by keithb7

6 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I like your stands Sam, yet the height is not adjustable. I regularly work on multiple cars, trucks, trailers etc of various heights. I have 6 adjustable stands.  Fixed height stands that you illustrate, is a challenge for me.  I would require several, all of different heights. 

Four (or eight) more pieces of 4x4 for stages and they have some adjustability and are still very secure. I realize people have been working under ratcheting jack stands for a long time, guess I've just gotten a lot less fond of them as my risk assessment changes with the advancing personal odometer.  :)

• Like 1