Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Radio time

D35 Torpedo

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

My understanding is that the motors in these EV cars really interfere with AM radio reception. So the feds can mandate a.m. all they want you won't be able to hear anything though

Serious question here Sniper.

At what range do you think? 5 feet away 10? 20?

Joe Lee

P.S. I assume you refering to the EMF (electro magnetic field).   Not to be confused with ESG or the DEI so prevalant in todays vocabulary.

Edited by soth122003

Reading between the lines of the article, I think they are talking about the AM radio reception in the EV itself, not so much in any other car.

However, AM has long been a afterthought in the automotive audio realm.  I doubt they cared about, much less tested, it's effect on other vehicle's reception.  You can do a lot with proper filtering, but no one is going to spend money sorting that out for AM, just delete the option it's cheaper and easier.  I can recall power lines causing interference in cheap (Kraco, Sparkomatic) radios that didn't effect OEM AM radio reception back in the days of good AM stations.

Next time I am near an EV, and I remember, I will flip my truck's radio to AM and see what I hear.

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Reading between the lines of the article, I think they are talking about the AM radio reception in the EV itself, not so much in any other car.

However, AM has long been a afterthought in the automotive audio realm.  I doubt they cared about, much less tested, it's effect on other vehicle's reception.  You can do a lot with proper filtering, but no one is going to spend money sorting that out for AM, just delete the option it's cheaper and easier.  I can recall power lines causing interference in cheap (Kraco, Sparkomatic) radios that didn't effect OEM AM radio reception back in the days of good AM stations.

Next time I am near an EV, and I remember, I will flip my truck's radio to AM and see what I hear.

You will probably hear lucifer.

On 4/16/2023 at 7:52 PM, Eneto-55 said:

Now that you mention it, I saw that as well.  But then they also quit making vinyl records for a time, right?  Of course not everything makes a comeback.  8-tracks, anyone?

I don't believe they ever stopped making records but it was certainly diminished for a while.