Rear shock mounts

Mortimer452
Go to solution Solved by Mortimer452,

Finally getting around to replacing rear springs & shocks on my '47 Deluxe, rear shock mounts are chowdered up pretty bad.  Google isn't turning up much, anyone know a good aftermarket replacement?  Also, what shocks does everyone recommend?

screeen.png

the springs got wider with later model spring plates....the u-bolts will have a gap between themselves and the leaf spring assembly...one can easily make a capture cradle here by welding angle iron the the donor spring/shock mount.  Here is '04 Dakota axle and shock mounts of the wider variety with the welded angles in place to capture the more narrow stock leaf spring assembly, many may think overkill but Overkill is my middle name.  

IMG_0420.JPG

The above narrative and picture is answering REPLACEMENT scenario of the mount plate itself, however one can just as easily remove the damaged stud and bolt in a replacement stud only in your existing mount plates....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

If that shock mount was mine I would weld it up and then mount it my drill press and use a file to get it back to about the right diameter.  Should be a snug fit when you replace the shock.  Or you could take it to a machine shop and have them turn it back down.  I admit that this fix is a little shade tree but my grandad taught me to fix things when possible instead of replacing them.  Sometimes it takes longer and it's more work to do it my way - But I can't help it - I like to fix stuff. 

Shock studs are everywhere on e-bay, Speedway, and 20 second search on Summit Racing, quick return shows no less than 5 different sets listed...could be lots more but was enough to say with a bit of proactive checking, typing of few words, these can be had quickly and affordably.   

• Solution

For those interested - the Monroe P00019 mounting studs are a perfect fit, match the originals exactly in standoff thickness and overall length.  They are a tight fit in the bottom U-bolt plate, but some very light sanding helped it along.  $10 a pair is pretty cheap!

Capture.PNG

Edited by Mortimer452
  • Like 4