Warning!!! You could easily lose fingers or even your hand if you do this!

MarcDeSoto

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

I once had to do a rescue on a wind turbine because someone's sleeve got pulled into the turning gear and took his hand into it too.  Someone took off the guards that didn't need to be taken off to do the job.

I heard of a guy that was working on a guillotine paper cutter. It was close to quitting time and said he would continue working on the Guillotine while they were gone. Sometime after they all left the clamp came down on his hand at full pressure, (2000 Psi) and could not get it to release him. There was no one to call, no cell phones and the pain was getting the better of him. He then cut his fingers off to get out of the machine. At the hospitol the doctor said, "I have some good news and some bad news which do you want first"? He said the bad news. The doctor told him the clamp crushed his bones and they can not save his fingers. He then said, "Whats the good news"? The doctor said "you did a better job of cutting those fingers off that what I could".

I have included a video of one of these Cutters. BTW a dull knife you can shave with.

3 hours ago, SteveR said:

I heard of a guy that was working on a guillotine paper cutter. It was close to quitting time and said he would continue working on the Guillotine while they were gone. Sometime after they all left the clamp came down on his hand at full pressure, (2000 Psi) and could not get it to release him. There was no one to call, no cell phones and the pain was getting the better of him. He then cut his fingers off to get out of the machine. At the hospitol the doctor said, "I have some good news and some bad news which do you want first"? He said the bad news. The doctor told him the clamp crushed his bones and they can not save his fingers. He then said, "Whats the good news"? The doctor said "you did a better job of cutting those fingers off that what I could".

I have included a video of one of these Cutters. BTW a dull knife you can shave with.

I have operated paper cutters like that - trimming book pages for Scripture books we (translated and) produced for the tribe of Indians we lived with in Brazil.  It is to fear....

• Like 1

When in my early twenties attending a machine shop trades class at the local college, I witnessed first-hand the lathe scenario one evening. A classmate I did not know personally was turning a test bar between centers while wearing bib overalls. The strap on his left side slipped off his shoulder and got caught by the spinning dog. It happened fast and he was a stout kid but could not break free and went over the top in a matter of seconds. He got messed up bad but was lucky someone was close to him and hit the foot brake as it pulled him over the top. It was a bloody mess that as they say you can't un-see. 

Glad no one was hurt and the sharing of the identified safety point brought about some positive ideas for reducing the likely hood of future issues. I think the painting of the is something that would work well for my open motor car.

I attached the front and back of the 2-Minute drill card every person carried on the job, on a lanyard and used prior to starting a task. Team leads for a task were responsible to run through it and collect and act on feedback. I thought it was overkill when issued but it worked out well to identify potential problems and prevent accidents. May work for some to help on their job or in your shop.

IMG_0668.JPG.92e220343ac9ca2c7e6601a6150e8ab2.JPG     

IMG_0669.JPG.161c122747a78fbfa951be61f8336e67.JPG