Yard Finds Today - NY'er and more with Pics

splat1955

Okay guys, a while back I promised to get some pics of a few cars I spotted locally in a yard. First though, I must apologize for the poor quality pics. In most cases I will take the blame, and is some of these pics, I'm sure the fuziness is my fault...but I believe my camera is about to die as well...it's progressively gotten worse the last year or so...and there was no way I was going to sneak out the one I got my wife last year for Christmas....I'd never heard the end of that. I've made separate postings for the 3 other cars as well, a Cranbrook, another Chrylser...model unknown, and a '36 Packard. Being new to the old Mopar Iron, I don't know what years these are. I only know the Packard's year cause the yard guy told me.

Anyway, this NYer had a really nice grill, front bumper and rear bumper...straight and still fairly nice chrome. It still had a lot of stainless on the body, some bent but some straight. The tail light bezels were missing the lenses, but they were complete otherwise and looked nice. The instument cluster & panel was huge...but really cool in this car. I don't know if it was plastic of glass ( looked plastic) but the bubble over the guages was busted. But the guages were all there and still looked very nice. It had "Chrysler" full hubcaps all the way around but somebody " dimpled" or " Popped " the centers in a little...looked deliberate as did the broken bubble glass on the instrument guage although the hubcaps looked as though they could be popped back out. Don't know if these caps were original. The stainless around the rear window and the huge chrome bezel thing that circled the license plate was in nice shape too. Nothing much left as far as interior.. Hood was straight and chrome on it decent.

post-1457-1358534639999_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346400342_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346400682_thumb.jpg

post-1457-13585346401074_thumb.jpg

1949-50 Newyorkers should have the 3.54 rear end, won`t fit the Ply or Dodges though.

Bob

The heavier "Chrysler 8" -cylinder cars up to 1950 use a slightly larger "pumpkin" case- larger in bolt pattern diameter and therefore won`t fit into the 6 cyl cars axle housing -Ply, Dodge, Desoto or Chrysler and 1/2 ton trucks. Exceptions for the long WB cars and wagons. Up to 1952 all were 10 spline axles. 16 spline 1953 and later.

Bob

Don`t forget to check the taper sizes on the axles. Some models are different. Chrysler 8 cars use 12" drums. I cannot remember if the straight 8 cars use a thicker axle taper but I think my miller brake tool kit calls for a different axle sleeve for use between 6 and 8 cars.

Bob

Not really sure where this place is...it could be in Diamond Springs....it could be in El Dorado hills....I just happened acrossed it one day. I think they are getting ready to sell the property though.

I wonder if it would have the 3.54 rearend in it? Where is this private gold mine of yours?

Ummmm, errrrrr, hmmmm....steering wheel? Shipping? Perfect?

No, seriously Jim....which car are you talking about...which steering wheel...although I think only 1 of the cars had a wheel....maybe two.

Brian

so splat1955....did you forget to PM me to tell me you found the perfect steering wheel for me on that car or were you waiting untill you had it packaged for shipping before you got my mailing address :D

Jim

Brian when I seen the picture of the Newyorker without the steering wheel I slipped into a world of fantasy, thinking that you had found the perfect steering wheel for me, removed it and were preparing to contact me for the shipping info..... my search for the holy grail was over but judging by your response I should keep up the quest for the wheel :D

I am sorry for any confusion this might have caused and promise to refrain from slipping back into that world of fantasy. (well in this thread anyways)

Jim

Hey Jim...............No problem....not to worry, I got a kick out of your post......Hey, and I am going back out there, possibly tomorrow...next week for sure cause a guy here want's a part off the Cranbrook...anyway, I'll dig around a little closer in the NYer and see if that wheel might have been in it or in the trunk...I kink of doubt it, but hey, I think they are still looking for the holy grail as well aren't they? Anyway, if it's there somewhere, do you want me to take a pic? Find out what they want for it? Let me know cause I don't get out there often...matter of fact, after I go this next time, it may be a month before I go again.....

Brian when I seen the picture of the Newyorker without the steering wheel I slipped into a world of fantasy, thinking that you had found the perfect steering wheel for me, removed it and were preparing to contact me for the shipping info..... my search for the holy grail was over but judging by your response I should keep up the quest for the wheel :D

I am sorry for any confusion this might have caused and promise to refrain from slipping back into that world of fantasy. (well in this thread anyways)

Jim