Electric power steering conversion

Nomad50

I finished installing the Electric Power steering conversion on the '47 Desoto. It wasn't too complicated and it works great. 

I posted a few pictures for anyone that is interested. It has a dial that you can adjust how much assist you want. The total cost 

was about $900 that included $225 charged by a machine shop that did the fabrication to the original steering column. The

kit I bought came with everything I needed and good instructions. It's based on a Chevy Equinox steering unit. I can now 

parallel park with one finger. No modification was done to the stock suspension. It looks kind of clunky, but it doesn't get 

in the way of any thing under the dash. A lot easier and cheaper than other options. More details if anybody wants them.

IMG_20210901_170609624.jpg

IMG_20210901_170504162.jpg

straight.jpg

Edited by Nomad50
  • Like 2

I would like to see more pics please, I must admit that its something I wouldn't do on my Dodge but I am very interested in the way that this has been done for the increase in knowledge..........am I right in assuming that the 2 columns in the separate pic are the Chev Equinox units?...........is everything for the power steer conversion located between the firewall and the dash? or is there any parts in front of the firewall, ie in the engine bay itself?...........is there enough clearance under the electric unit between the dash & firewall for your legs & knees etc...........but having said all this I do like this idea...........andyd

The picture of the steering column is not the the right one, It was from the kit sellers website. I used the original steering column and gear with no modifications. You just cut a section out and weld adaptors to the stock shaft ends. Nothing is in front of the firewall. The wiring is simple. All I did was remove the column and make a mock up of where I wanted it and took it to a machine shop and they modified it. Plenty of room to drive as you can rotate it up and out of the way. It works better than I expected. The rest of the pictures are too large to upload here.

Edited by Nomad50

13 hours ago, Nomad50 said:

A lot easier and cheaper than other options. More details if anybody wants them.

Yes please.   Maker of the kit and if you have the capability copy and post the instructions.

Also I didn't see that third picture the first time I looked.

Edited by 48ply1stcar

Do you need 12 volts?  Let's kick this  around a little.   For those of us married to our 6-volt system, maybe add a small 12 volt alternator, but it would still need a drive belt and pulley adaptation.  Maybe an inverter, good for 20 amps, but that would suck up more than 40 amps from the 6-volt alternator.  Maybe a 12 volt alternator, with some step-down for the 6 volt stuff.  

I'm tempted to put this on my To-Do Someday list.  I put Saginaw power steering in my 47 DeSoto a few years ago, but had to cobble a lot to do it.   I would put the P.S. motor under the hood, where I have already altered the steering column.  Put back the manual box, splice in the motor, and undo some of the cobbling.  

One can always imagine.  

I would not mind seeing more photos. In particular what the modifications looked like before assembly. Also photos of how unit works with the gear shifter arm.

I have been looking into this for the '47 Suburban. But with its weight, I need a heavy duty unit. The Chevy Equinox is between 1000 to 1500 pounds lighter than my Suburban in curb weight. I also can carry another 2000 pounds in my moose. I would worry about loading issues using an Equinox gear box with my Suburban.

I have been looking at EPAS in Florida as they have a heavy duty unit and an HD motor can be placed in the engine bay. I have the MOPAR twin Heaters and the under the dash units may well hit that.

For a convertible and a couple I think this is not a bad unit. For a larger Sedan and the big Suburban...I would not use it.

James