1941 Plymouth: Which is better convert dual master with power booster on firewall or keep under the floor?

desertdroog

I'm starting to plan my build, now that I am at the tail end of a very long Ford Model A project, which is why I have not posted much on my 1941 Plymouth Business Coupe.

I am am going to put disc brakes on all four corners and wanted to know what people have done in their cars or if there was a philosophy regarding four wheel disc brakes and the position of a dual master and power booster, firewall vs floor. Size of booster, if it matters or what that essentially does (is bigger better?).

I am considering this kit from Butch's Cool Stuff.

https://butchscoolstuff.com/40-41-plymouth-40-dodge-brake-pedal-conversion-kit-2483bc/

I do plan on running an automatic, but that booster looks to be a bit smaller than I would expect to get good performance. I based that on my overall  lack of knowledge for brake conversions and boosters in general, but wonder why some boosters are larger than others, etc...

So if anyone has used that setup, could you provide your experience, caveats, and pitfalls if any? Thank you in advance.

Stock 6 flat motor??

Any other changes planned?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Spelling as usual

In my opinion,and worth every dollar you paid for it,it makes no difference at all when it comes to the performance of the  brake system. Brake boosters and master cylinders mounted on the chassis don't take up so much room under the hood and make for a "cleaner" look. If you decide to go that way,try to buy a complete package of booster,master cylinder,brake pedal,and chassis mount from the same supplier to simplify things for you.

The downside is they are harder to service. You will have to cut an access hole in your floor so you can service it.

The firewall system is easy-peasy most of the time,depending on the car and what sort of engine you have stuffed into the engine bay,but it does not make for what most people would consider to be a "clean look" and really be a pain in the Clinton to work on or made adjustments to your engine because it limits the amount of room you have to work. Remember,these cars were engineered and designed to accept inline 6 cylinder engines,and you are already having to work with less room if you  put a V-8 in it.

I am assuming you are doing a drive train swap also,or you wouldn't be so worried about power disc brakes.

Whilst my setup is probably of no use to you being that I'm here in Oz, but I've had 4wheel discs on my car since the mid 1970's, 11" vented Oz Leyland discs on the front until about 15yrs ago also 11" vented discs on the rear  but now 11" solid discs.........the mastercylinder since the mid 70's is the Leyland dual circuit mastercylinder and booster mounted on the firewall.........car stops well............having said all this if you mount the master cylinder/booster on the firewall you must strenghten the firewall......I welded a piece of 1/8th plate into the firewall and boxed the sides then used the pedal box to attach to the lower edge of the dash which also is used to attach the steering column and this also is mounted solidly to the lower firewall/floor pan area...........works well.............my car has had a 318 Poly/torqueflite since 1973...............regards from Oz..........andyd  

P1000417.JPG

P1010399.JPG

• Like 1

Good point on having to reinforce the firewall. I am ok with the modifications I have to do, I guess I was looking for information on the power booster that Butch's Cool Stuff offers on their conversion kit to keep it all under the floor. If it will work well with the correct residual valving I will use, since the master cylinder will be lower than the wheel cylinders, and 4 wheel disc brakes, then I am on board with that idea.

I just didn't want to have an undersized power booster for my application or if it mattered or not.

Thanks folks!