bleeding brakes

john portala

Your right leg will be much more muscular than your left leg when you are done.  Chasing air from the system can be challenging as per my personal experience. M

PS once you have your brakes bled for the 1st time and have good pedal, tap the master cylinder a bit with a rubber hammer or wood one ( repeated light blows). Repeat bleeding procedure and if all parts are good you will have released more air through the bleeders and your pedal will hold.

Edited by Marcel Backs
more info

1 hour ago, Hamilton said:

I had great hopes for that vacuum bleeder but was never able to get it to work properly. Air may have been leaking past the threads of the bleeder valve, maybe teflon tape on the threads might have helped.

I gave up on it and went with this pressure bleeder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6FZJFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

815SU+X0JiL._AC_UL115_.jpg

This device worked great and no air compressor is needed. I took a spare master cylinder cap and threaded a barbed fitting into it so the pressure hose could be connected to the master cylinder. All you need to do is put fluid in the pressure pot, pump it up, then go around to each wheel cylinder to bleed out bubbles. I bled the whole car by myself in ten minutes once everything was hooked up. This thing was worth every $$$$ I spent on it.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, john portala said:

/

John   41 dodge . anyone bleeding the brakes without helper . any advice

Hey John:

If you have a grandson or granddaughter this would be a great time to spend some time with them and they then might catch the bug about old cars.  When my two girls we young and still living at home I would always get them to help on the simple things.  It was a great learning experience for them and they also got to learn about cars so when they went to get their car repaired or inspected they new the working of their car and would question the shop if they thought they got charged for an item that was not required to be changed.

I had a great time bonding with them and it also helped to get them to talk about issues in everyday life and this has helped to keep the communication lines open and one is 31 and the other is 25 and they are now on their own living near the middle of PA.

With the newer car it is almost impossible to work on them so there is no transfer of knowledge hope everything works out for you.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1