Atlas heater

jamesadams

My 52 pickup has a heater in it with a badge that says "atlas" on it.It appears to be added on to the truck. The core appears to be round. Were these mopar options, or picked up and installed by a previous owner? Just seems to be another interesting thing i am learning about these old trucks.O yeah, it says by my name that i just joned the forum. BEEN HERE ALMOST 2 YEARS!

Hi neighbor, I dont spend much time in the Pilot house but was reading new posts and saw yours. I cant answer if these were out of the factory but i've seen more than one in the trucks and cars. Matter of fact there's one in a B1B Woodie a friend of mine is restoring for a customer. I think Arvin was another type seen alot but dont take me up on that. I'm sure the dodge truck guys will help on this. I was more curious how the duck season was going across the river or are you basically more of a deer hunter? Used to hunt the St Francis river bottoms near Marked Tree for years.

JUst for kicks, go to Ebay Vintage Parts and search heater. Probably several will pop up. Remember heaters and defrosters were optional and a lot of trucks sold in the south or southwest likely were not sold with them. If I remember correctly ATLAS was a Sears and Roebucks house brand. Mongomery Ward sold them as Riverside, there were Arvins, Southwinds, Western Auto, Tropic Aire, and others. Here is a Tropic Aire unit that is hang on unit probably designed for the passenger foot well. Think this was a Ford house brand. Some had defroster outlets, some didn't. I have a Model 36 like on the bottom of Reg's post,in my car. It had defroster diverter and ducts. However since these models recirculate the air in the vehicle, the defrosting part is mostly a mythe.

6939_1.JPG

Here is a Epay search link;

http://motors.search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&fcl=3&frpp=50&from=R10&fccl=1&mppfqy=heater&mppfqy=heater&satitle=heater+&sacat=10073%26catref%3DC6&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=heater+ford&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=2%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Yes Greg. The defroster didn't work very well unless you opted for the fresh air intake as shown on that brochure page I posted. I have these intake parts but have not installed them yet. Maybe this winter I'll stay off this site long enough to get er done.

What's in my B2B is a MOPAR 70 without the fresh air. I don't have it back in yet and it didn't work when I bought the truck so I don't know how effective it is. I had the core rebuilt and the motor worked on so it should be at least as good as it was in 1950...

Hey Reg are those truck master heaters worth anything? I know where there is one in a junkyard. I think theres another model 36 out there too. I already have 2 and really need to get one in my 46.

My 36 will about run me outa the car. The only problem I have is that the fan motor has a squeak. I had the core tested, and lubed and rewired the motor. Even with only one door open it gets nice and toasty. I have one of those off or on valves on the head. But even with a 160 stat it is more heat than I need. I like it about 65 to 68 degrees.

Hey Reg are those truck master heaters worth anything? I know where there is one in a junkyard. I think theres another model 36 out there too. I already have 2 and really need to get one in my 46.

Well.....there's a Model 51 listed on the bay right now. It's at $25 with 1 bidder but the reserve is not met. # 190053334738.