Learned a little history this weekend

THis past weekend my folks came for a visit. They actually came up to attend my cousins wedding on Saturday. During the visit we got to talking about my truck project. Then my Dad mentioned that he had been looking for a nice picture of a '47 Dodge truck for some writing project he was doing. I then found out that they had a '47 1 ton stake bed truck on the farm, back in the day. They had bought it new and it seems that he has fond memories of that "work horse". He said that it would do anything they wanted it to, from hauling firewood, to grain, to hay, or anything else that needed to get hauled around the farm, or to and from town. It kind of makes me want to find one for nastalgic sake now. ;) But I better finish my current project first. The only truck I remember on the farm was a '55 Ford 3/4 ton stake truck. That truck was probably the first vehicle, other than a tractor, that I drove. It was pretty rough by the time I left for Tech school and life of my own, back in the 80's. It seems that they also had a '55 Chevy before the Ford, but apparently that one didn't last too long.

Anyway... does anyone have a nice picture of a 1947 Dodge 1 ton stake body truck handy? Otherwise I'll do some surfin'.

Thanks, Merle

Merle my 46 is only a 1/2 ton pickup but the front end is identical. I'm sure I could find a 1ton pic for you. What color did he have? I know a guy down in Rochestor restoring a 46 1ton dually that will have a stake bed on it when he finds one for it.

Don't know the color. I thought about asking, but I didn't.

I know I could use one of your truck photos, and I might send him one anyway. Maybe the one by the lake? That's a cool pic.

He really didn't specify that he wanted a 1 ton stake picture, but since that's aparently what they had, I figured that picture would mean more to him. I see that there's a 2 1/2 ton '47 on ebay right now, but that'd be too big.

I'll have to ask around and see if any of the family had any pictures of that truck.

WOW!!! This Internet thing is wonderful. Just a little surfing netted this. http://www.oldride.com/classic_trucks/652057.html Only 30 miles or so from my house. Anyone got a spare $10,000 I can have? :D If only it was a stake truck. :(

Or maybe this '47 tow truck would do...http://www.fantasyrides.com/47TowTruck.shtml But I'd need another $7500. Damn!!

By the way... What's the cypher code for '39-47 model numbers?

Its similar to the pilot house ones. T=39 V=40 and W=41-47(yes they did make a few trucks in 43 44 and they started again in 45 before cars). C=1/2 ton D=3/4 or 1ton. Your dads truck would have been a WD21. WD20 is the 3/4. Then is goes to WF for 1.5ton with 3 number codes for wheelbase & another letter if you have a 2spd or a cabover.

The first one is by our cabin. Thats one of the 2 lakes we are kinda inbetween. That second one is in a park near Osceola WI. I believe I am parked on the MN side of the river and the bluffs in the background are WI. Dang I need some MN pictures in here:)

Thats a fellow in the plymouth club. Dad has a 40 that isn't quite done yet. The shop has been dragging on it. Maybe in the spring. Its looked like this for about 3 years now! All the rest is painted too just needs to be reassembled.

P2110003.jpg