1952 Chryser Saratoga.

Brian Coleman

Have you looked at shift linkage? On my'53 I located a linkage adjustment  on the firewall side of my steering shaft. I adjusted it and it made a huge difference. Everything feels great, all gears. Reverse was becoming especially troublesome.

Edited by keithb7

just for the record, Hydramatic was a name given to a  transmission mostly used in Oldsmobile.

I think Keith is correct in his diagnosis.

• Thanks 1

Hydra-Matic - Oldsmobile, Cadillac (and some Lincolns)*   Dynaflow - Buick.  Powerglide - Chevrolet.    Pontiacs?
Ford-o-Matic - (guess).   Torque-Flyte - Chrysler products? 

* In the early '50's, GM sold Hydra-Matics, to Ford for Lincolns.  In 1953 the Hydra-Matic plant burned down.  Before GM could re-establish operations in the former Willow Run bomber plant, GM was reduced to putting Dynaflows in Cadillacs, but had to fulfill their contract with Ford to supply Hydra-Matics for Lincolns. 

The Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum has had a period Lincoln in on their site for that reason.   (They hold the Orphan Car Show every year.  The car badge has to be retired, not just a model.  Thus Continentals and Imperials may be shown, but not Lincoln Continentals or Chrysler Imperials.  But they allow the Chevrolet Corvair, since it was built in the bomber plant in Yosilanti.)  

• Like 1

Fluid-Matic....STD 1951 to 52

C55 Saratoga.

Fluid-Torque Drive Optional C55 Saratoga