Door stops inside door..what is supposed to be there?

splat1955

Okay,

Got one door problem fixed...but have another question. Both might front doors open too far and touch the front fenders. I've got the drivers door apart right now, and the stop bars are there on both fronts. I've felt the end inside my drivers door, and there is nothing on the bar to stop the door. What is supposed to be on the end of the bar inside the door. I'd like to fix this side while I've got it apart. I was thinking of a couple of washers, with a rubber washer in between a little larger in diameter than the steel washers. Then a small bolt and nut through the washers and through the hold in the bar. Suggestions? What was stock?

Think of a piece of rubber about as big as a dollar coin(the newer ones not a silver dollar) with a slot through the middle of it to go onto that steel bar. The rubber is maybe 1/2 inch thick. I just reinstalled the bar in the pass door of my 48.

Okay...are you saying it's kind of like a big disk.....with a slot in the center? What keeps it on the end of the bar? Anybody have a pic of the snubber or the whole assy they can post?

Think of a piece of rubber about as big as a dollar coin(the newer ones not a silver dollar) with a slot through the middle of it to go onto that steel bar. The rubber is maybe 1/2 inch thick. I just reinstalled the bar in the pass door of my 48.

Okay, I have the drivers side door done. Not exactly what I wanted to do cause I had to use 2 rubber washers, one inside the other. I pulled the arm out so I could work with it easier. The end that is supposed to have the rubber snubber has a hole. So, having a ton of pins that accept cotter pins on one end I loaded a steel washer, then 2 rubber washers (one inside the other cause I didn't have a large rubber washer with a small hole), then another steel washer the size of the first. The rubber washer is larger in diameter than the steel washers but they help keep it flat and in place. Then I ran that pin assembly with all the washers through the hole in the snubber end of the arm. Added a small washer to the pin on the other side of the arm and put a cotter pin through the hole in the pin. Then re-installed the arm and checked to make sure my door wouldn't hit the fender and viola, no more hitting the fender. I think before I put the door all back together, I'm going to hit a hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find something better than the 2 rubber washers I had to use. I sure would like to see a pic of the rubber snubber if anyone has a pic. Also, if anyone has 1 or 2 they want to sell, I'd buy them.

diameter is just a tad larger than the backing washer...the slot you can put in with a heated sliver of hot steel...you can cut a chunk of reinforced rubber from the sidewall of an old tire...finding one to buy is going to be rough as I looked for them and Resto list for GM and they are different..made my own as described above. Cut the rubber with a drill press and hole saw...leave the starter/centering bit out of the hole saw..why a drill rress works best...

Hey Guys,

All good ideas you have for getting the rubber, but I still don't have a clear picture of what they are or how they are mounted to the arm. Tim, you said the rubber is just a bit bigger than the backing washer...but I don't have anything....the ends of the arms have nothing there....so I have nothing to compare to. Man, I wish these manuals showed a bit more.

YIKES Shel!! Did you pull off the panel to get those pics? Man, I more than appreciate that. Now I see what everyone was trying to explain. Okay, so it looks like I am missing everything.....spring clip too. Are there 2 spring clips on that bar Shel? I noticed there was something on the opposite side of the bar also. I can make the rubber and washer....but the spring clips I bet are going to be hard to find. Thanks for the great pics Shel! I think I am going to look for something at the hardware store tomorrow that I can make the rubber snubber out of. I'm going to try and make it to the wrecking yard tomorrow also and get the pics of those old mopars that are sitting there. I'll see if the old Plymouth as the door stops still. Will also take some extra pics of the New Yorker, Cranbrook and the Plymouth. Theres even an old Packard with boxes of engine parts in the car.

Anyway, if anyones got any of those clips and wants to part with them, let me know. Thanks again guys.

Oh, okay, that explains another thing. I was able to pull the pin right out to remove the arm, but a closer inspection showed that it must have been longer cause I could tell something had been broken off of the end....probably to pull the arm out although I don't understand why someone would have pulled the arm out. But it does look as though whoever painted my car did pull everything...interior panels, door sills, etc. to paint cause the paint on the inside looks to be the same paint as the outside....which impressed me...but still doesn't explain why those arms were pulled unless the doors and everything were off the car at one time for paint. Anyway, guess I will be watching for the clips and stuff. Oh, I did find a guy with some front and rear bumpers...he was auctioning off the front bumper on the bay. I won that one and after some " back and forth " emails, he still had the complete parts car with a rear bumper...not in great shape, but for $20, it's a start. Anyway, I've emailed him about the Snubber arm in the doors to see if he's got those. Hopefully they'll still have the parts on them. Glad ya didn't have to pull the panel on the 51 to get those pics Shel...I didn't want anyone to go through all that. But man, with all the pics you've sent me of parts the last couple of months, you should start a folder just of pics...you could almost start your own manual of stuff that isn't in the printed manual we have! Oh, also, you just reminded me, I've gotta go out and charge my cordless dremel....so I can take it with me to the wrecking yard today if it doesn't rain. Thanks again Shel.

Splat, did not pull the panel to do the pics. The panel was off. This is on my 51, but looks just like the one I got from the yard for a guy.

They are a pain in the "you know where" to remove. The rivet has to be ground down to remove the check arm. I don't think I have seen cotter pin set up on the Dodges. Problem with the ones from the yard is that the rubber stop gets real brittle. Left and right are the same.

Yes, that spring clip like part is on both sides. Holds in the rectangular area of the door, shown in the pic that Don C posted. First one I got from the yard had one side broken off. I did not see that until after filing off the rivet. Had a poor file and it was a hot day. Checked the second one closer before attempting removal. Simple task with a dremel or such, but I don't drag any battery tools when I go foraging.