Spinner steering wheel?

casper50

It looks like the spinner wheel performs the function of an accessory "suicide knob", for one-handed turning of the wheel.  Grab the center bar, and the thing turns when the wheel turns, but the center bar and the hand stay in the same position.

The suicide knob was so called because it would stick out toward the driver, interfering with two-handed turning of the wheel.   Some of the suicide knobs could be tipped in toward the center of the wheel, allowing two-handed turning of the wheel 

I have seen one of those on a restored '41 Chev. Very rare item and the owner was a really Chev collector with many different years. All nice cars but the '41 was the one with the most tricks. I believe that particular wheel was a rare Chev option. As mentioned, that wheel is worth a lot of money as it is. Restored, I am guessing well over the $1000.00 mark.

• 4 weeks later...

Figures.  I came across one of those in a junk yard in Oro Grande, NM many years ago.  Thought about getting it for a conversation piece, but decided it was too ugly and passed it up.  Yard has since been cleared out.