Any idea what year this engine is? And what it's from?

I've just purchased this Flathead 6 engine and it's been a little modified and I can't find a good Fargo / Dodge reference for this engine. The bore is 3 7/16" the stroke is 4 1/2" so from the data I've seen it is a 250.6 cubic inch. The engine tag number is a little odd M16336C or at least I can't a reference to that number or series (I've seen an older post here that said the M series maybe for 1959). The head has casting number 1632386 and the block has 1402529. The engine has no front engine mount plate and has been converted to electronic ignition. It has both an alt and power steering pump bolted up on home made plates. The bell housing is the larger version for a truck 4 speed trans like my 1950 Fargo 1 ton. Any light you guys can shine on this would be greatly appreciated. The engines internal condition is excellent it looks like it could be in running condition.

I've just purchased this Flathead 6 engine and it's been a little modified and I can't find a good Fargo / Dodge reference for this engine. The bore is 3 7/16" the stroke is 4 1/2" so from the data I've seen it is a 250.6 cubic inch. The engine tag number is a little odd M16336C or at least I can't a reference to that number or series (I've seen an older post here that said the M series maybe for 1959). The head has casting number 1632386 and the block has 1402529. The engine has no front engine mount plate and has been converted to electronic ignition. It has both an alt and power steering pump bolted up on home made plates. The bell housing is the larger version for a truck 4 speed trans like my 1950 Fargo 1 ton. Any light you guys can shine on this would be greatly appreciated. The engines internal condition is excellent it looks like it could be in running condition.

Did you actually measure the stroke, it's a Canadian built engine thats for sure.

pull the little top pipe plug and measure the stroke, you could have a 238 or better yet a 265 on your hands..

Did you actually measure the stroke, it's a Canadian built engine thats for sure.

pull the little top pipe plug and measure the stroke, you could have a 238 or better yet a 265 on your hands..

Yep measured the stroke twice to be sure, I was hoping for a 265....

Just curious, isn't the year stamped down low, between the oil fill tube and the distributor?

Sounds like a viable start and a rebuild or refresh candidate...you have the front plate and all the parts you need on your original engine no? Could be it was put into a later car or truck that had PS, and alternator is always better then generator. I wouldn't get so concerned on the numbers, best is to pull the head and do the measurements (if you didn't already), and I recommend pulling a piston too...if you run into an industrial motor like I did, it had 3 ring Pistons instead of 4, and finding parts was a chore....so better to be prepared if you want to bore or even just re-ring.

• Like 1

Just curious, isn't the year stamped down low, between the oil fill tube and the distributor?

No year or date there is a clock type thing pointed at 1 and the following casting numbers appear near the distributor hole F  15  9.

Sounds like a viable start and a rebuild or refresh candidate...you have the front plate and all the parts you need on your original engine no? Could be it was put into a later car or truck that had PS, and alternator is always better then generator. I wouldn't get so concerned on the numbers, best is to pull the head and do the measurements (if you didn't already), and I recommend pulling a piston too...if you run into an industrial motor like I did, it had 3 ring Pistons instead of 4, and finding parts was a chore....so better to be prepared if you want to bore or even just re-ring.

I've had the head off and I had done my initial measurements before my first post. I went back this morning for a third time this thing has nearly a 5" stroke. I had initially assumed it was at the bottom of it's stroke. I was wrong, looks like a 265 maybe? I'm preparing to get it on the engine stand right away so I can pull a piston and look over the bottom end. If it is a 265 I'm buying lotto tickets!