'39 Chrysler with an R7 Overdrive

Reg Evans

I'm going to change the fluids today in my recently purchased 1939 Chrysler Royal with an R7 overdrive and my owners manual recommends SAE No. 70 aircraft engine oil or just SAE No. 70 engine oil.

Is this just a single grade non-detergent oil or what ?

Why won't regular 80W90 gear lube work .....same stuff that goes in the rear end.

Thanks

post-32-0-14533300-1442154442_thumb.jpg

I think the viscosity number standards for oil and gear lube are different so SAE70 oil would have a different viscosity that SAE70 gear lube. I've never heard of SAE 70 engine oil so I don't know where you would get it. I think I'd be calling a major oil company and asking for a applications engineer to talk with. They should be able to find out what a modern replacement for an old rated oil is.

This GL-1 gear oil is currently listed on ebay..GL-1 means that it contains no EP additives and it is safe for use in the older transmissions.

The differential does require EP additives.. I have also posted a chart showing the relative viscosity of engine vs gear oils.This is the limit of my knowledge on the subject,I would follow the recommendations in your manual.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GL1-140-wt-Gear-Oil-Mineral-Oil-Gallon-2-each-/251464637379?hash=item3a8c75dbc3 

post-296-0-41791900-1442187114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ralph D25cpe