51 chrysler 331 hemi axle ratio?

mopar_earl

Hello,

My buddy gave me the m6 trans and the rear axle from a 1951 chrysler with a 331 hemi. The fluid coupling was engine oil feed. Anyone happen to know what the axle ratio would be? My car has a 3.90 and I'm wondering if the hemi rear might be under a 3.90 to put in my 52 coronet for faster crusing with lower engine rpm.

Thanks,

Earl

The 1951 chrysler Saratoga, NewYorkers, and the non 145" WB Imperial 331 Hemi cars used a 3.73 rear end 10 bolt gasket.

NOT 11 bolt holes as used on 6 cylinder cars.

The 331 V8 chryslers did not use a engine fed converter on Fluid Torque Drive cars. A built in bell housing sump fed the torque converter.

Six cylinder 265 Windsors used the engine fed converters for FTD cars. :)

• Like 1

The 1951 newYorker, Saratoga and short WB Imperials used a 3.73 ratio 10 bolt rear end.

Six cylinder car models used a 11 bolt rear end. Pumpkins don't interchange.

The 1951-53 Chrysler NewYorkers Imperials ect with Fluid Torque Drive and M6 did not use a engine fed converter.

They had a built in oil sump on the bottom of the bell housing.

The Chrysler Windsor 265 six cylinder cars with FTD were the ones with the engine fed torque converter.

The Fluid Drive models (Fluid Coupling) are all simple and self contained.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys! I was close though, I knew it wasn't standard fluid drive coupling as it had oil lines and such. I gave the engine away 10 years ago so I'm going on rusty memory lol.

Sounds like I could be better off swapping this hemi axle into my coronet for some lower engine rpm while cruising. That is if it's a bolt in mod.

Thanks,

Earl

As suggested, look at the item in question to be sure. Seeing is most often believable.

You can be told anything.

Unless you know without a doubt that the item is original/untouched to the donor vehicle it could be anything.

Ask 6 people, get 6 different answers :D

Edited by shel_ny

they usually are 3.54 but you can easily verify this by looking at the top of the hog head for the stamped ratio or on the side of the hog head near the fill hole..

Thanks,I will see if I can find the ratio stamp as that would take the guessing out of it. Provided no one changed the ratio. I didn't know they were stamped.

Thanks,

Earl

I may have been a bit premature..I should have said per visuals in my area, the 3.54 is common around here in the south....no mountains around here..the more hilly regions could well have been stock with a more common 3.73...again it is easy to verify...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

If you swap the whole 1951 chrysler  V8 axle into your coronet... there could be one major problem ..... large bolt pattern drums.

This issue is only if the rear end is from a 1951 or 52 NewYorker or Imperial  car.

V8 Saratoga's came with a Hemi too but used the small hub six cylinder plymouth/Dodge hub drums. But the drum size is 12".

Here is a picture of a a four pinion /2 side gear barrel type differential out of a 1951 Chrysler NewYorker... typical 3.73 ratio.

As mentioned need to check everthing before swapping parts especially Chrysler to other car lines.

post-302-0-92739900-1438537685_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-36647900-1438537732_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you swap the whole 1951 chrysler V8 axle into your coronet... there could be one major problem ..... large bolt pattern drums.

This issue is only if the rear end is from a 1951 or 52 NewYorker or Imperial car.

V8 Saratoga's came with a Hemi too but used the small hub six cylinder plymouth/Dodge hub drums. But the drum size is 12".

Here is a picture of a a four pinion /2 side gear barrel type differential out of a 1951 Chrysler NewYorker... typical 3.73 ratio.

As mentioned need to check everthing before swapping parts especially Chrysler to other car lines.

Thanks for the info! Would the coronet drums fit the axle shafts or no?

I'm not at home to check it out more closely. It's also buried lol

Thanks,

Earl

The taper is larger on the NY and Imperial large hub drums.

• Like 1

As long as your wheels will fit on it and you swap the 10 spline pinion yokes.

Or swap your drums and backing plates to it and not use the 12" chrysler brakes.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

As long as your wheels will fit on it and you swap the 10 spline pinion yokes.

Or swap your drums and backing plates to it and not use the 12" chrysler brakes.

OK appreciate your help and time! I will have to dig the axle out and look it over. Unfortunately the axle is home and my car is at my buddies 4.5 hrs away getting the engine overhauled. Will be some time before the car is back home. I will update as I can.

Thanks,

Earl