transmission swap?

I have a T-5 installed on my '37 Dodge pickup, it sets a little further back than the original 3 speed but I was still able to keep the bench seat. The custom made shift lever fits perfectly with plenty of clearance for both the front seat and the dash.

• 3 months later...

The 1937 and 1938 Dodge pickup came with the longer 25" block (after '38 the 23" block was used). It was easy to drop in a 265 block since no modifications were needed. The only difference was that I had a full flow oil filter bolted on the 265 so I had to use a shorter starter.

I have a 251 Chrysler Industrial block with Chrysler 265 crank and rods. The head is an Edmunds OEM. I converted to 12 volts and am running a Langdon Chrysler 265 HEI ignition with the coil still mounted to the firewall. I have a Crown Marine cam, 3 angle cut valve job, Dodge Truck 2 1/2 ton truck dual carb/exhaust system and an aluminum fly wheel. I used an oversized vibration damper from a 265 Dodge 2 1/2 truck that was rebuilt by Damper Dudes.

My truck is currently at the painter. Here's a site that my brother has kept up for me: http://home.comcast.net/~stangeba/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Hi guys. For those of you that have installed the T5 tranny, what do you do about the drive shaft? Is there a swap you can use or do you have to shorten yours.

Every time I've changed rear ends in other cars, I've had to take my drive shaft to a shop to have it shortened or lengthened to size and then balanced. Back in 1979 on a 71 Challanger it cost around $75.

Dennis

I shortened the drive shaft, put a GM front on the shortened front of the shaft to slide into the T5 and had the shaft balanced.

I lucked out on the Edmunds head and bought it from Tom Langdon several years back. He had picked up 3 or 4 from a Mom and Pop parts store in Ill. that had closed. They we quickly sold and are VERY hard to find for the 25" block.

Hi Guys, For those of you that have installed the T5 tranny, what did you do about the emergency brake? Thanks Jim Roach

In my Plymouth P-15 I installed a Dodge Charger differential (bolts right in) and use the rear wheel brakes as emergency brakes as was used on the Charger.

Hi guys. For those of you that have installed the T5 tranny, what do you do about the drive shaft? Is there a swap you can use or do you have to shorten yours.

I had a new drive shaft made splinded for the T-5 on the front and the Charger on the rear. Cost about two hundred bucks.

• 1 year later...
I shortened the drive shaft, put a GM front on the shortened front of the shaft to slide into the T5 and had the shaft balanced.

I lucked out on the Edmunds head and bought it from Tom Langdon several years back. He had picked up 3 or 4 from a Mom and Pop parts store in Ill. that had closed. They we quickly sold and are VERY hard to find for the 25" block.

Elmer What spark plugs do you use in the Edmunds head. I just put mine on my 265 and looking for correct plugs, any help. Mike (xbedbugger) in AZ.

Mike,

Tom Langdon suggested AC 45FFS or 46FFS plugs. Since I am running a Langdon Mini GM 12volt HEI, he suggested that I gap them at .060 to get the full potential of the hot spark now available. Just to make sure I had proper clearance, we put a dab of putty like stuff at the bottom of the plug wire and turned the engine over.

I had to be very careful not to strip the threads on the soft aluminum.