rechroming taillight "bezel"

bluefoxamazone

As far as I know, re-chroming of pot metal parts is very demanding. Repair of pitting needs every each pit hole bored clean, filled with brass, precision grinding and "priming" by copper plating, then grinding & polishing again...

I would like to know what it costs to have such small part professionally re-chromed?

Has anyone had it done recently?

As mentioned, fixing the pot metal is the challenging part. If you have a good part with no pitting, I'd guess $80 to $100 range. Getting a pitted part repaired for chroming and the chroming probably $300, maybe more.

Having had a few parts rechromed with poor results, I can tell you it's hard to find someone who will do a good job. Many will promise you the world, then buff away half the metal until the pits are gone, then chrome whatever is left.

I located like new bezels for my 53 Belvedere for far less than rechroming would be. Watch EBay, search the web. It's not quick, but you can find them. You can find an unpitted part needing chrome and get it chromed for a lot less than having a pitted one repaired and it will still resemble what you sent to the chrome shop. There are parts that you need to get the pits repaired because they are the only ones around, but tail light bezels for a 53 Plymouth aren't on that list.

The ballpark figure I've heard is $1 a pit. You get a piece that's pitted up it adds up really quickly. The shop we've used in WI did the leaping ram for my friends 39 TC. It took them almost a year and cost $500 but when it was done it was perfect.