I'm so proud!

Normspeed

Last week I visited a great automotive bookstore in Burbank Ca called Aero Books. I found a copy of a recent book by Jon Robinson of the DeSoto DeSpatch forum. Jon did a photo shoot of my old rustbucket a year or two ago. To my surprise I found a very flattering set of photos of my own P24 in the section on 53 Plymouths! And at the end of the book, a wide angle shot of my P24's dashboard! And to make it even neater, there is a close up spread on Tony Cipponeri's 3 window 50 Plymouth coupe as well. I'm so flattered!

Guest rockabillybassman

Normspeed..... fantastic! It's great to see your car in print. I'm a bit concerned though that they used photos of your car without your permission or knowledge. What I'm getting at is someone is making money out of your efforts, and it aint you! I have no idea what laws, if any, pertain to this, and i dont want to hijack your thread, but it's an area we maybe should know more about.

I agree with Bill and rockabilly..... It doesn't have to be about the money, however, any pictures of something "owned" by someone else usually have to have a "request" for publishing... If, at the time your "rustbucket" was shot, Jon asked if he could publish the photos, and you said yes, that would be all he would require (although it would be better to have been written).

Thats my 2 cents..... either way, great to see your car got some ink.... that is flattering.....

Allan

That's neat Norm.

I agree with the others about being paid for the use of the pictures in the book. If the book and magazine publishers had to pay for every car picture they put in a book or magazine, there wouldn't be any. If there were, the book or magazine price would be really high to cover the expense of all those car pictures and you wouldn't want to buy it. If you park your car on the street or parking lot, it's in public view and therefore anyone can use a picture of it. At car shows, it's there for public viewing and again by driving it there you are agreeing to allow pictures to be taken by anyone. Now, if the picture is published and your name is used with it, that's a different story. Then, the publisher should have a release to use your name along with the pictures of the car. Usually, it's a written release form, but it can be done in a verbal form too. It's the same if you are standing in a crowd of people and someone takes a picture and uses it, without names. They don't need your permission to use that picture of you standing in the crowd.

Actually, I think it was an honor to Norm by them even wanting pictures of his car in the book.

If your car is in a public place (e.g. at a car show) and some one takes pictures of it then you have no rights to those photos. The photographer owns the rights to the photos.

If the photos were arranged for, that is you and the photographer made an appointment to photograph the car, then you should have also negotiated how the rights to the photos were to be dealt with and any restrictions on their use. An example of this might be a museum that has one of its pieces of art photographed for use in a book: They own the art work, they contract to the photographer (or more likely have one on staff) and they assure that they own the photographs too.

So the publisher generally deals with the owner of the photograph not the owner of the original object to get permission to publish.

(I am not a lawyer but I have an interest in this as I publish photos of cars on my web site.)

Jon was totally straightforward about the photos and how he planned to use them. We set up a meeting on a stretch of old Route 66 in Cajon Pass and he brought two assistants to help with lighting, etc. He did a full blown photo shoot and managed to catch the best looking elements of my car. A real pro. I would have gladly signed a release form had he asked. Any monetary compensation would mean nothing compared to seeing my car in print. John travels the nation in a 50s DeSoto, doing automotive photography. He lives in Apple Valley CA.

Mackster, go back to your corner! Actually I'd post some clippings but you know how it is, Jon might sue me for posting his copyrighted pics:D

Youl gotta buy the book, no way around it. It even has DeSotos in there, 1950 thru 1959.

post some clippings of the book it sounds like a great book, I lurk in that forum as well....HE HE HE.. Im a tri-timing no good man. they say I'm a cheater and a liar but I only lied about cheating!:eek: HA HA HA!

I met a photographer at the fathers day truck show, looking for interesting trucks to take pictures of. He liked my Pilothouse and asked for my card and called to set up an appointment to take calendar photos.

He was here last night at 6:30 to capture the pilothouse in the evening light with the golf course as a backdrop. He shot about 75 pictures and then had me sign a release. He plans to submit the shots to Antique Trucks for a 2010 Calendar and if it makes it I will get 12 copies of the calendar.

He also said he would send a 8 x 10 of the best shot next week.

Nice looking truck, should make the calendar, after all the Fords and Chevies, its about time a Dodge makes centerfold.

Dennis