Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Door lock, getting new key?

Dajudge

Been working in the truck today ... Passenger door was goofy to open.  It would like to lock itself  when you shut the door.  Just a pain.  The guy I bought the truck mentioned that the passage door was a pain.  Well, I finally took a look today. I actually had the mechanism out of the 49 and had planned to swap it.  Come to find out, the triangle piece was upside down.  It only had two small bolts in it instead of the three that should be there.  This also caused the locking mechanism to be upside down. Thus when you slam the door, the weight of the handle would lock it.  I flipped the triangle right side up and replaced all the bolts with ones from the 49.  Door works great now.

My problem is I have two good door lock cylinders but no keys.  Is it possible to get keys made? I really don't want to spend $100 on NOS just to get a key.

Fixed the door, broke the motor. :(

Since I had such success with door I decided to fix my oil leak.  I have two loose connectors on the block where the oil goes to the filter.  I tried to pull the first hose off and broke the connector.  Not a big deal it should be at the auto parts store tomorrow.  I was glad it was a modern connector and not some ubber rare 70 year old part.  But I did have to push the truck around the garage so that the wife can get her car back in tonight. :)

So, does anyone have experience with having a key made?

Thought I would call Roberts in the morning.

Edited by Dajudge

$17.50 for the Ford looks like a great way to go.  It's a bummer we will loose the little cover though,  I can't believe both trucks still had the cover on the lock.

I would think a good locksmith would be able to pick the lock, disassemble it, and make a key to fit it. Then you'd have a proper original lock in the truck. They may even be able to rekey the lock to match your ignition key, like it should be.

Merle

X's 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Key-blank-HFD7-1125H-Plymouth-46-48-Dodge-Truck-46-57-Studebaker-53-57-/121406650845?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c446679dd&vxp=mtr

That key isn't right for my truck. Maybe they changed the locks in 1950 but my keys need a groove on both sides.

That key isn't right for my truck. Maybe they changed the locks in 1950 but my keys need a groove on both sides.

looks like a perfect match for my '51 key

• 3 weeks later...