Propeller Shaft rubber boot install

Darbone85737
Go to solution Solved by Darbone85737,

I'm replacing a cracked rubber boot.  I have the boot over the pin and into the metal cover but it seems impossible to get the boot through far enough to clamp onto the drive shaft.   I've been using warm soapy water as a lubricant but no amount of pushing and twisting seems to be able to move the thing down into the cover. 

Any suggestions of tips?  After doing all the hard stuff it seems crazy to get stopped by something like this

Car is a '49 P18 sedanc

Thx

Larry

What I did was to turn the rubber boot inside out, then pull it on (large end first) until the small end is in place, then pull the wide end back over. Still not easy but it did work.

Phil

I'm replacing a cracked rubber boot.  I have the boot over the pin and into the metal cover but it seems impossible to get the boot through far enough to clamp onto the drive shaft.   I've been using warm soapy water as a lubricant but no amount of pushing and twisting seems to be able to move the thing down into the cover. 

Any suggestions of tips?  After doing all the hard stuff it seems crazy to get stopped by something like this

Car is a '49 P18 sedanc

Thx

Larry

My way was to tear three of the five boots I had trying to get them on. With two finally successful, stashed the driveshaft for a month before installing it and then found the two good boots had cracked and failed just sitting there.

Then I got some of the better leather boots, the ones with a snap inner grease retaining collar, and put them on. Been several years on those and they are still good.

When I did mine on the two 48 Plymouth's I put some grease on the outside of the boot and the inside of the housing being careful not to get it where I was going to pull it from. It was a challenge but got the 4 on without any tear or rip. 

A happy ending. I struggled with the thing in several sessions (I stop and take a walk when  something gets me frustrated)  with no success. I recalled there was a driveshaft shop in town so I drove in with the shaft and boot. Guy knew exactly what it was from.  I left it with him to press the pin out, install the boot and reinstall the metal cover. They called back before I was home (12 miles) to let me know it was done and ready to be picked up. 

• Like 1

Good that you went to a driveshaft shop. They would have the expertise to know that it is critical to get the pressed in pin centered when putting it back, and be ably to verify that it is centered. Tolerance of .006"

• Like 1

• Solution

So the boot is  on and I've replaced the rollers on the pin.   Now the metal cover won't slip over the assembled joint and allow the joint to recess enough to allow for the spring and cover to be reinstalled.

How do I get this thing back together?

Sorry for these dumb questions.  I do have the manual but there isn't any explanation for this and  it's just frustrating 

Thanks once again

Larry

Edited by Darbone85737