1954 dodge royal 500 convertible Pacecar restoraton part 1

dodge59

wont be long now  ull be finished,,

Yep......  can't wait !  

installed the  new antenna, connected  the wires to the clock and radio  and  installed new shocks yesterday..  not much more to do.. I figure another months of work yet.  I'll  have it ready for the  car shows  come may.. Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.

hi guys ... have a question for you.

what is the light switch for  the rear courtesy light on a convertible ?

is  it there  to turn the rear seat area  lights off if you don't want them on when door  is open? or?

post-5817-0-95058300-1426811320_thumb.jpg

Could this have been added by a previous owner or was it exclusive to the pace car since I have now switch on my regular 54 royal convertible. Iv'e been thinking we need to start a 54 dodge registration. It would be nice to find out how many of these are still out there and get a network of people together for info like this.

• Like 1

mike ..  the switch and the wiring  appears to be oem , also it is in the shop manual in the wiring schematics .. show how it is wired in .so.....

II wonder if the other models of 1954 mopar have this light switch feature.hummmm.

I agree with you mike,  the 54 dodge is all by it's  lonesome self  ..  all the websites I've   seen out there  do not include the 1954  dodge year for some reason.

• Like 1

That's what I have noticed also. I won der if opening a 54 dodge royal convertible facebook page would help bring people together. I've got the dodge royal facebook page but only have people that know about the site viewing it. I had 1 wire going up behind the door latch but was not hooked to anything and I had no switch or slot for a switch in the panel. The panel may have been replaced and the wire disconnected long ago.

• Like 1

That's what I have noticed also. I won der if opening a 54 dodge royal convertible facebook page would help bring people together. I've got the dodge royal facebook page but only have people that know about the site viewing it. I had 1 wire going up behind the door latch but was not hooked to anything and I had no switch or slot for a switch in the panel. The panel may have been replaced and the wire disconnected long ago.

yep... one wire to the switch . that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking advantage of another burst of nice weather here  in wisconsin .

got a few things accomplished in the past 2  weeks :

Both door glass and all the weather strip  seals installed .

all the convertible top roof  rail weatherstripping seals and header seals  installed   .

wired up the courtesy lights  ..

lubricated  all the window regulators/ guides  and installed  plastic sheeting behind the door panels  and rear side panels.

ready to install the rear door  panels and door panels next.

it's taking shape now ! can't wait  to show her off.

I have another  month  until the car shows start here.  I'm right on schedule !

here are a few more pics of recent installations.

visors and mirror  installed

rocker moldings installed

carpet installed

and she is sport-in  some big guns out the back now  with new chrome tips.

post-5817-0-65968600-1427924914_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-56930800-1427924970_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-68707300-1427925035_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-67642200-1427925220_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did you put dual exhaust on this or just dual pipes on the end? I like your license plate holder. My windshield should be shipped back to me about the 8th of April and then when I get it I will trace the outline on the windshield on paper and send it out to get a new gasket made up. I'm working on the passenger front fender this week. If I don't run out of steam I should get it ready to paint.

• Like 1

update    :

worked on installing  the rear seat area  side panels today . Looking Good !

worked late ............took these pictures  in the garage with top up .... not much light.

post-5817-0-82593400-1428027043_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-68640100-1428027190_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

What a great project and interesting read, just catching up around here and your efforts and talent is something to be proud of.

Don't know you John but I'm proud of you...........great car with a terrific look! Color combos right to the Hemi are outstanding.

Best of luck with the car and enjoy the hell out of it!

Doc.

• Like 1

Did you put dual exhaust on this or just dual pipes on the end? I like your license plate holder. My windshield should be shipped back to me about the 8th of April and then when I get it I will trace the outline on the windshield on paper and send it out to get a new gasket made up. I'm working on the passenger front fender this week. If I don't run out of steam I should get it ready to paint.

Geeeeee mike .....You are really moving along on the dodge !!  you are on a mission to get it done !

update ...

Almost done !

installed both  front door panels and all there  hardware today.

theses are the door panels I redone from scratch  over winter time.

they look fabulous  ! and the fit like a glove !

It took alot of precise measuring when I constructed them from scratch  and it paid off !

every thing lined up perfectly. :)

The seats have been re-upholstered last fall  so they are all ready to be installed next .

the I need to order up some front seat belts yet.

post-5817-0-22970600-1428276370_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-02899600-1428276491_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

update  on my 1954  dodge  royal 500  pace car .

everything is installed in the rear seat area.

looking Sweet!

carpet is installed and ready for the front seat now.

post-5817-0-10881500-1428514641_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-29399800-1428514658_thumb.jpg

I just want to take the time out to thank everyone that has viewed  and commented on my  restoration project .

I sure do appreciated it!  It kept me motivated for sure.

Apparently,  I have ONE  of the most viewed topics on this website . I am just amazed  I had this many followers. Thanks !

The good thing is .. I'm almost finished  with  the 1954 dodge royal convertible pace car.  and it has turned out fabulous  !  and I can't wait to start showing her off. 

I still have a few odds and ends to take care of yet  and work some bugs out of her as time goes by. I'll keep you all posted up to date .

Thanks again everyone !

john

• Like 2

what is your  next  project ?? gives me  some thing to  read about on my nights off when  i cant  sleep,,,and  love seeing these older cars being cared for,,,can  you inagine in 50 years some one  caring for a camry ??? lol

• Like 2

John, like many others I've been following along quite closely. What drew me in was your attention to accuracy,attention to detail,and the ability to accomplish the work. I'm just beginning to comprehend the.commitment required. I'm just " fixing" my truck and I'm learning how much quiet time is involved, time when one sorts out the details to do it correctly. Thank you for sharing now put a note book in the glove box and make a journal of the conversations you have as you take the car to the public.

• Like 1

what is your  next  project ?? gives me  some thing to  read about on my nights off when  i cant  sleep,,,and  love seeing these older cars being cared for,,,can  you inagine in 50 years some one  caring for a camry ??? lol

As of right now I am going to enjoy my  "fruits of labor " .   I plan on taking the 500  to a whole bunch of car shows  far and near . my  dodge  will be a great conversation piece .  I love talking  and meeting new people .

I'm retiring this year  and  that is what would make me most happy to start my retirement .

I can't imagine a "camry"  in the future being restored . It just does not compare to the quality of workmanship of the older cars. You know what I mean .

John, like many others I've been following along quite closely. What drew me in was your attention to accuracy,attention to detail,and the ability to accomplish the work. I'm just beginning to comprehend the.commitment required. I'm just " fixing" my truck and I'm learning how much quiet time is involved, time when one sorts out the details to do it correctly. Thank you for sharing now put a note book in the glove box and make a journal of the conversations you have as you take the car to the public.

Well that is nice  to know that I inspired you all in some way or another  with my restoration . and you guys inspired me as well !   I appreciate that very much .  I  do take a lot of pride in what I do  and try to do it the way it should be done . Thanks !

As of right now I am going to enjoy my  "fruits of labor " .   I plan on taking the 500  to a whole bunch of car shows  far and near . my  dodge  will be a great conversation piece .  I love talking  and meeting new people .

I'm retiring this year  and  that is what would make me most happy to start my retirement .

I can't imagine a "camry"  in the future being restored . It just does not compare to the quality of workmanship of the older cars. You know what I mean .

I'm not sure if you consider the Twin Cities far or near but if you come here for a car show let me know!

• Like 1