One wire alternator (OT)

_shel_ny

Shel;

It is called a single wire but has a "tickeler" wire to excite it and make it work. On the initial start up it will not start charging until the engine hits about 1200 RPM's. Once it starts charging it will charge from slow idle to full speed until the engine is turned off. Then it must excite again on the next startup and continue charging.

altwire.jpg

Check thi site out. I bought a 3 wire and the fellow I got it from said all the needs to be done is that the other two wire need to be connected together. The schematic on this site shows that this is basically the case although theirs shows it going through some resistance.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

Something about the remote voltage sensing thing. Go to the electrical tech section and read it through.

My golly what put a GM on when any Ford alternator would do the trick..and the reason for that statement is that even if your car came with a mechanical regulator..pull it, toss it and bolt in the replacement electronic unit..low cost..no maintenace same bolt pattern and even the old pigtail retrofits and slides right on..a true no brainer...still have the idiot light and tickle on igition circuit...I SEE NO IMPROVEMENT HERE

I have converted a couple Sunbeam Tiger's from generator to alternator..stock bracket is a bolt on, belt alignment is not an issue and shimming with washers is not needed, stock wiring harness is used, pigtail is still used..throw out the old reg and pop in a electronic unit...just to easy. The upgrade to Chrysler electronic ignition on the Ford is a vast improvement..best thing is that the wiring harness is not altered to where in a emergency or going for show cannot go back stock in just a few minutes..stock coil, stock dropping resistor..

The billet mindset is alive and well out there..there are just as many alternatives as there are products