49 dodge gas tank sending unit.

Ken SMith

Pulled gas tank and recoated.   Sending unit looks bad   Single Pole...

Have been looking on line for a replacement.  Almost all sites that have a unit state " for passenger cars only ".

The units for the truck and car look identical .But the length of the rod may be different  ??

Anyone have any info with regards to the sending units and availability.

Any info as to where I can pick up a sending unit for my pt would be greatly appreciated.

KS

from an earlier discussion, I ordered a couple of Tanks, Inc. units to do Tod Fitch's conversion.  The Tanks, Inc. units look very much like JC Whitney's Datcon units (which JCW no longer has available), so I'm gonna try this conversion on the malfunctioning Roberts units I found a few weeks ago.  The only thing different from TF's conversion is to have a ground stud on the mounting flange.  I am in the process of reorganizing my 1-car garage-turned-workshop, tossing useless items while inventorying the useful stuff...I gotta do this 5S stuff at work, might as well do it at home I reckon.  At some point, I'll give this conversion a shot and post my results as I've got a bad unit in the '49 that needs replacing anyways :cool:

Edited by JBNeal

from an earlier discussion, I ordered a couple of Tanks, Inc. units to do Tod Fitch's conversion.  . .

Actually that article was donated from a SoCal Plymouth owner. You probably don't want to do the conversion I did for my car as the resistance range is different: http://www.ply33.com/Repair/fuelsender2.html

• Like 1

Pulled gas tank and recoated. Sending unit looks bad Single Pole...

have you confirmed that the unit is bad? "looks bad" and non-working are two different things. all the tank unit does is provide a mechanism for variable resistance so that the fuel guage in the dash reads the amount of gas in the tank.

verify that the unit is bad by using a multi-meter before condemning it.