Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Our first hippy van 1968 !

JIPJOBXX

I have been married to my beautiful wife for over 45 years now and in our first year I built this old International Metro into a our first RV!  Of course it was not and RV it was our flower power rig and it was just a thing of beauty.  I bought it from the shipyard for 125 dollars and about three months later we had our first mobile home:)  I did everything on it and still today I'm quite proud of my old hippy rig.  It even had a pot bellied stove in it :).  Oh that cool hippy chick thats my bride and she has put up with me and my madcap ideas foor nearly haft a century.  Jon

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/img311-001_zpsc606e965.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/img312_zps36ea24db.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/img301_zps1e4d41cd.jpg

Thought you guys might find this interesting as its a picture of my great great grandmother and we have the original tin type photo down in Menlo Park.  She kind of looks like my wife but this picture was taken over 150 years ago.  Jon

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/1942dodge/Jon-Menlo-Young/img211.jpg

• Like 3

Love the van! ... My girlfriend wants a retro van or camper when we're married. I'll bet you had a lot of good times with that one.

Retro camper? We have an Ungers Commander motorhome rotting away behind the garage. 413/727, D400 based, they called it an M400 chassis for motorhome use, but it is pretty much the same as a D400 single axle dumptruck frame and running gear. Even has an 8 track player in it. It is one of 800 built over a 10 year production run. Hand laid fiberglass solid body. Has not been licensed since 2006. Just a storage shed these days...

Even has a front bumper rack for our 1971 Honda Scrambler motorcycle. Which is decoration in the barn rafters...

Retro camper? We have an Ungers Commander motorhome rotting away behind the garage. 413/727, D400 based, they called it an M400 chassis for motorhome use, but it is pretty much the same as a D400 single axle dumptruck frame and running gear. Even has an 8 track player in it. It is one of 800 built over a 10 year production run. Hand laid fiberglass solid body. Has not been licensed since 2006. Just a storage shed these days...

Even has a front bumper rack for our 1971 Honda Scrambler motorcycle. Which is decoration in the barn rafters...

Well, I did say elsewhere that I want to own something with a 413 ...

Reading up now on the Ungers Commander. Sounds like it was a great motorhome.

She's thinking more along the lines of this:

ult01.jpg

Since I *am* 6-foot-3 (and not slender) I'm trying at least to upgrade her to something like this:

Living%20Large_01.jpg

How "rotten" is the Ungers?  ;)

Since I *am* 6-foot-3 (and not slender) I'm trying at least to upgrade her to something like this:

Living%20Large_01.jpg

Did that upgrade example bring up any other topics of "additions"?

Edited by Young Ed

ult01.jpg

Living%20Large_01.jpg

Needs a battery, a tune up and the dash put back together. Generator croaked and I think was swapped out with a late model version. Most of the exterior lighting around the roof line is missing. It is under cover, has always had a pole shed over it. I was going to salvage the gauges, cable shifter, engine and tranmsission to use in my 69 D100 and junk the rest of it. Don't need it. Have a vacation home on the MS coast less than an hour from New Orleans. RV is too big for our fishing camp on the Spring River in AR.

Father in law bought it in 1975, used, and paid $13500 for it. In 1999 he sunk another $10K into having every major system overhauled, engine, brakes, transmission, rebuilt the rear end, replaced a lot of the plumbing and electrical parts. Hauled out of mothballs after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 while working on the coast house, back into mothball status in 2006.

He keeps talking about using it, so I've disabled it. He'll be 88 in 5 days, he has NO business trying to drive a 4 wheel drum equipped bus.

Needs a battery, a tune up and the dash put back together. Generator croaked and I think was swapped out with a late model version. Most of the exterior lighting around the roof line is missing. It is under cover, has always had a pole shed over it. I was going to salvage the gauges, cable shifter, engine and tranmsission to use in my 69 D100 and junk the rest of it. Don't need it. Have a vacation home on the MS coast less than an hour from New Orleans. RV is too big for our fishing camp on the Spring River in AR.

Father in law bought it in 1975, used, and paid $13500 for it. In 1999 he sunk another $10K into having every major system overhauled, engine, brakes, transmission, rebuilt the rear end, replaced a lot of the plumbing and electrical parts. Hauled out of mothballs after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 while working on the coast house, back into mothball status in 2006.

He keeps talking about using it, so I've disabled it. He'll be 88 in 5 days, he has NO business trying to drive a 4 wheel drum equipped bus.

You're right about your dad not driving it. ... Sounds like it isn't that far from a serviceable RV, though.