Input Shaft Needed

doctor dirt

My car has been derailed for sometime now along with my health so things have been slowed to practcally going backwards! They couldn't get the tranny off because the rear brass sleeve? forgot what its called was frozen on to the shaft!!! They finally got it off and the input shaft has some digs and damage throughout!

Before trying to repair it I'd like to see if I could purchase one!! It is the longer shaft for a Fluid Drive set up (1949 Dodge Wayfarer coupe!

Any help would be appreciated, I had already ordered clutch and cuplar parts to repair leaks and rebuild the clutch from Cris at Andy B's so all of that stuff remains boxed and waiting!

Anyone have one or know of a retailer who may have one? thanx much Doc.

Looks like it may be part # 957859

someone else would need to confirm that.

Tell these sites what you need. they should be able to confirm your application.

try:

http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/search/index.htm

try:

http://www.mmpar.com/StoreVBVS2011/default.aspx

EDIT: Both show it in stock.

EDIT: may belong in

http://p15-d24.com/classifieds/category/5-car-parts-wanted/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Thanks guys I'm on it!!!! My mechanic calls me every 2 hours with bad news, getting ready to change my phone number......... :angry: starting to dislike him!!! 

Got to get there in the morning and go shopping for a car cover, looks like the coupe is living in the elements for a while!

I have more than a couple of lines on the shaft, thans

I have one tranny nailed down if needed too

Does anyone have a couplar that would a fit in case this one is damaged? (will find out more in the morning) thanx for all the quick replies Doc

Edited by doctor dirt

Just got back from the garage, heres todays story!!!! B) .......needed- 1 drive pinon shaft, it can be cleaned up where the damage was done but if I could find a new one and add the correct sized "Rear Running Bushing" as opposed to making one to fit the cleaned shaft I'd be happier!

For now it looks like thats all I need, today anyways!!!

Trying to find part numbers on these pieces but my parts numbers list doesn't have these pieces I think I'm describing them correctly if not correct me.

fluid drive running bushing (Rear)

drive pinon

thanx again Doc.

fluid drive running bushing (Rear)

Sounds like a pilot bushing.

Collectorsautosupply      $30  + shipping

Robert's    $8.00    + shipping

Burnbaum   $8.00   -10%   + shipping

Rock Auto   $1.78  -  $3.96   -5%   + shipping

Probably NAPA if you can get the right counter person   $2.23    +possible shipping depending upon warehouse location.

Collectors Auto Supply is such a rip! And all they do is buy the part from someone else.

Thanks guys, I haven't seen the part so I have no reference! Their supposed to crack the tranny case to free the shaft on Friday and I'll take it and the bushing directly to the machine shop thats been recomended, same place the gear box will go to be rebuild!

Tues & Thurs;

Replaced the fuel pump with a reman + inline filter

Repaired oil canister & filter (again) 

Replaced the push rod gaskets

Replaced the rear main seal :D Horay!!!!

Another oil pan gasket and 5qts of 10/30+zinc oil (again)

I have had problems with Collectors being extremely slow and telling stories to boot!

Bought my "Stop Leaks" assembly(couplar) and clutch rebuild from Andy B. and Chris was a huge help and Andy threw in his two cents along with our P15-D24 (inperson) sorta!!!!

Were getting closer I can feel it or its my arthritis again can't tell the difference!

Much thanx to

Slel_bizzy_48, Dodgeb4ya & Don.

Big thanx for the "Plymouthy Man" Himself!

Gettin close, Doc. ;)

Edited by doctor dirt

Rear axle parts 1.pdf

Rear axle parts 2.pdf

Rear axle parts 3.pdf

scaned the rear axle parts breakdown this might help you. I think you might be looking for Part # 2 pinion shaft.

Here is why I have scanned the various reference materials onto CDs so that all you guys can have this information on your PC. This is the kind of info you all need to have when looking for parts and part numbers.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

Fluid drive coupling smaller front  input shaft bushing is a MoPar #868381 and the rear larger bushing-should be replaced too is part #868382.

Front and rear FD "Oilite" bushings shown in relationship to input shaft.....

Bob

post-302-0-10410400-1374353628_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-42318500-1374353635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Dodgeb4ya; I'm on that right now! The front bushing was froze on the shaft but I don't think the shaft is damaged as much as theirs remains of the bushing on it!! All this got picked up by me a day late (on them) and the machine shop was closed by 4pm on friday so now I'm sitting on my hands AGAIN until tues morning!!

The rear bearing is still on the couplar and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be removed! These dopes left the couplar filled with lube too!!!!! :o Idiots telling me the box was heavy....................no ****!!!  

The fly wheel looks good, teeth are in order and straight as could be, needs a good cleaning!!! Its very possible a stock bushing will fit fine, I'll see if material needs to come off the shaft and let the machinists inform me!  

It would be excellant if the stock bearings could be used instead of making them.

Is their a special tool to remove the rear bearing? 868382)   Doc.

Seems I'm calling the front the rear and vice versa, why not!!!!! The bushing still on is in good shape and was inspected the other is the problem!

Edited by doctor dirt

I've had the shop book for some time now! Its with the car at the garage and is well used. The tranny mechanic has alot of books on fluid drive components and worked on refurbishing older models for years!

The parts will go to the machine shop on tues morning and hopefully they can get me in and out in great time! Everything else is done on the motor and the couplar & clutch will be ready to be assembled! .........(Hopefully) :rolleyes:  Doc.

The FD coupling needs both front (smaller) and rear (larger) 'Oilite" bushings replaced to do the job right.

I've just read the same thing!!! Is their a specific tool to release it from the couplar? Its pretty secure in there! I will question the mechanic on that, thanx Doc. 

To get to the front bushing especially you need a deep reach bushing removal tool. Any good mechanic or shop should have a tool to get to any bushing. Sounds like you question your shops abiliy? Thats not good!!!!

Right now theres to many chefs in the kitchen! The tranny guy is a kowledgable fellow but I thought it was odd that both bushings weren't coming off! He made a comment that the second bushing was on  securely and looked in perfect condition too! I will discuss it with the owner of the shop first thing on monday! 

I'm trying not be to visable there, this is my last resort as to finding someone to work on this car. The owner is a reasonable guy who has an appreciation for classic cars and I'm aware that this
classic car" is stuck on one of 5 lifts at his shop!! I respect that! I want it done right but once again this is not something I'm well versed in. Trusting peoples professionalizm seems to be a gamble these days!

With some helpfull directions from the forum maybe I'll get this car running right after all! Doin' my best under some health trials that are wearing me down abit!

Another week of .......................fun on the way!!! :cool: thanx dodgeb4ya! Doc.

Had breakfast with a retired engineer this morning who suggested buying a shaft if its under 100.00 to be able to use the stock bushings would be wise. He felt the cost of cleaning the shaft and making the bushings would easily exceed the new purchase! When I was looking into the new purchase I had found an NOS for under 100. but can't remember where it was. I'll go back and walk through the retailers listed here along with Valley & Deception and google search! I have all the parts #numbers thanx to the forum members. I still need to clean the plates up and speak to the owner about pulling the bushing off the couplar!! thanx again, Doc.

Found NOS shafts from 30. to 80. but no one has the bushings!!! Andy B, NAPA, Collectors, Silks, Deception, Valley and a few others tried!!!

No Bushings!!!!! :angry: Any ideas would be appreciated, I guess I can buy a shaft and use the old bushings for a machinists to work from! :huh:

This coupe has worn me out, forgot that I'll need a seal & gasket kit to button up the tranny too! I think this coupe is related to a ...Boat!  HA!! Doc.

Dropped off the shaft and odds & ends at the machine shop! The owner said it looked like residue from the chewed up bushing so the shaft should clean up nicely! He could make the bushings if needed for some where between 12. and 17. bucks! Sounds good to me, I'll call him around 7pm and see if there was any problems!

I need to find a gasket set to close up the tranny!!! I found a "rear seal/gasket" but not a gasket that goes around the case! Any guidance as to who may have this would be appreciated. I tried collectors, andy, silks, a.d., valley and deception with no luck! :mellow:  Give me a shout if you know where to find it!! thanx Doc.

Robert's, and Bernbaum's both show the transmission gasket set available for $14.50. They should update their sites to stop showing items that they do not have :)

Same goes for collector's with the 381/382 bushings. Both show available, NOS. How hard can it be for them to enter a (0) in quantity?

Mitchell's listed the gaskets on ebay in the recent past. $28.95 + ship. Only they would know if they do, or do not have it in stock.

Collector's list the gasket set.  $80  +ship, but guess that does not mean the actually have it.

A forum member ordered a gasket set 2-3 months back, but never followed up with a post to provide info for this forum.

If I were looking for that part I would call George Asche. His number can be found in the resources / links section of this forum. If you call him tell him hi for me.

Thought I would post this again as you must have missed it the first time I posted it. Gaskets, bushings, shafts, I believe he has all these parts.