49-52 convertible top PLEASE HELP

Alexander

Hi folks,

I bought a project car that needs its top corrected and installed. The installer is asking for a pictures of where the rear snaps are installed. Do they go over the trim (fabbric welting)? could some one please post a few pictures of how they have it on their car?

Also what is the weather strip called that is installed on the bows? I need to get new ones. where has them and what are they called?

Thanks!

Alex

post-188-1358537092091_thumb.jpg

post-188-13585370921729_thumb.jpg

Alex, you might check with these folks.....I talked to them quite a while

back and they seemed helpful. Hydro-E-Lectric company.

http://www.hydroe.com/

Also you might look in Hemmings Motor News for ads by other top

companies. Have you tried checking with some local auto upholstry

shop to see if they know?

On my 47 Plymouth convert, the snaps went on top of the rear welting.

100_6747.jpg

I think the screws go in thru the space where the welting pulls apart

for attaching to the car.

Here's a link to my Photo Bucket album where I put some pics of the

top for another person sometime back. Maybe some of them will be

helpful.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v96/BobT3/Boot%20for%20top%20of%20Plym/?action=view&current=100_6750.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fsmg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv96%2FBobT3%2FBoot%2520for%2520top%2520of%2520Plym%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D100_6753.jpg

To attach the front of the boot to the seat back.....used velcro.

Hi folks,

Also what is the weather strip called that is installed on the bows? I need to get new ones. where has them and what are they called?

Thanks!

Alex

Steele Rubber http://steelerubber.com ...is the only one that has them . You will need the rubber and the cloth BOWDRILL to cover the weatherstrip as the BOWDRILL makes the window glide over the weatherstrip.

Steele part numbers

Weatherstrip set, side roof rail, rubber only. Eight (8) piece set for right and left side, including windshield post. 70-1277-65.....$ 394.00/set

Tape, bowdrill cloth 70-1176-65...Tan 5"..$ 25.10/ea

5" works best as you want to completely wrap the strip and then slide it into the channel.

You also will need the header weatherstriping

Weatherstrip, windshield to front bow 40-0418-65.....$ 52.20/ea.

Weatherstrip, windshield header to front bow, at rear 30-0503-65.....$ 47.50/ea.

Stuff is NOT CHEAP...but is needed to seal up the top

Edited by fatFreddie
add

Bob, this is great. Just what I was looking for. The installer and I are surprised that that the snaps are screwed in right over the welting trim. I guess thats the way to do it? I wonder if its a litle different on the 49-52 Dodges?

If anyone else has toughts or pictures please chime in. We am very puzzeled.

Freddie thanks for the details! Bummer, I was hoping some one other than steel would have it. These guys are pricy.

I welcome any adtional comements and or feedback.

Thank you

Bummer, I was hoping some one other than steel would have it. These guys are pricy.

the ole pay to play at its finest...just be thankful someone has taken the inititive to have these available..even pedal cars run a goodly sum of money to put back in top notch service..you can save gas an insurance going that route I suppose...:D

Not very close up but Dads 51 ply seems to be the same as Bobs. The top boot uses all the snaps but the top itself only uses the side 2 on each side.

017_13A.jpg

016_12A.jpg

streetshot3.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

I imagine both the staples or tacks to attach the edge of the top,

and the screws for the snaps all have to go into that tacking strip

which goes around the lip of the body. Originally the tack strip

was cardboard (I think) and fit into a "C" channel made of metal

and riveted to the body. I believe that nowadays the channel can

be replaced by a tack strip made of a plastic type material.

I'm not an expert, just passing on what little I know. I did not watch

the man who installed my top....but kinda wish that I had.

Here's another P15 convertible, for sale currently on ebay with lots of

pictures. This picture will probably be large...........

Snaps done similar to mine, but appear to be above the welt.

Link to the complete ad with pics....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Absolutly-stunning-1948-Plymouth-Special-Deluxe-Coupe-Convertible-restored-sweet-/230850440306?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35bfc22c72

DSC_0004.jpg

Ed very nice car! Bob I Love the color of your car.

The pictures from Bob and Ed seem to suggest that the snaps screw over the welting strip. I guess we were over thinking it and thought there was a fancier finish that were were not understanding.

OK great, I think I am good.

Tim-

I have no problem to pay to play, however that does not mean I should not be a smart shopper. Many times (not always) you can get the same exact item for much less. Each company has its own over head and profit margin. I have my choice to research and shop as I see fit. Some of these companies fail to recognize that we the shopper are no dummy.

As always thank you to this board and the fine members who offer their knowledge and expertise.

Thank you,

Alex

did not say you would not pay to play only that it is often the only course..you are lucky your parts are available, though expensive..many parts are not avaiable through any source..you get creative or you try to convince a company there is a market and hopefully they will take a sample and create your product..for many the options are not there at all...tooling up for a part is expensive and the return must be great for the company to extend it's services..I would in your case consider myself lucky to be able top pick up a phone and get the part shipped in..