Glove box in 47 Plymouth Coupe

Dr. Fell

If they were like the trucks it was a black pasteboard box that fit in the lip around the inside of the opening (sort of). And was really good at growing white mold/mildew in high humidity (like after a rain or everyday in Dixie). About 8" deep at the top, 10" at the rear. No real support under it.

Cut one out of a dollar store waste basket, paint it matte black if you want it to look "correct" (sort of).

I'm making one for my truck out of locally sourced hardwoods. Since I have 54 acres of mostly mixed hardwood and pecan jungle...

hey Don..there are no gloves in there...what kind a scam you running here..think I would not notice..! I get up early ya know..

They are there you just cannot see them. Sheepskin gloves made by Church & Dwight. They come rolled up in a small package (under the rag) butt they are hardley big enough once removed from the package.

Dr. Fell,

You mentioned building a box for the radio. It strikes me that the heat generated by the vacuum tubes would be a deterrent to that, vs. hanging it in the breeze the way the factory did it. Have you had any problems along those lines?

-Randy

If you think the radio will get too warm---some air holes could surely

be punched in the box. Some previous owner made a box from

lightweight metal in the early 49 coupe I had.

I think the glovebox is probably made from the same type cardboard

as used for door panels. Might be able to find something suitable at

a store like Hobby Lobby.

They make a structural building material that has a silver coating on one side and the other side is white with either green, blue, red or black markings depending on the strength requirements. It is used under siding to provide a shear wall. I bought the green at my local lumberyard for less than $7.00 a sheet. The sheets are 4' X 8' X 1!/8" and I cut it into panels to use for the upholstery in my 48. Took two and 1/2 sheets. The white side has a grid and nail pattern printed on it in one of the four colors for installing over studs in a wall. The trade name is Thermo-sheath Insulative Sheathing. It's made for National Shelter Products by Fibre converters in Constantine Michigan

Over in the UK I believe the compressed waterproofed cardboard that's used to make door cards and kick panels is called mill board. It is not that easy to find over here, though an auto trimmer in Kent sells it in four foot square sheets. I bought seven sheets when I was passing last year, three for my P7 coupe and four for a friend who was retrimming his '48 Chevy coupe. It feels somewhat waxy, probably the waterproofing, and can either cut with multiple passes of a blade or with a fine-toothed blade in a jigsaw. Obviously the latter's quicker, but there's a bit more cleanup required and a lot more mess. My interior's mostly done now. Though more expensive, I'm glad I didn't compromise and use hardboard (masonite?).

I use the 3/16 Masonite quite a bit...(easier to put my hands on, l;ive a very repressed area for materials)...I normally cut it with the jigsaw and a fine tooth metal cutting blade..then I block sand and roll the edges lightly..next I seal with polyurethane with first coat being a 50/50 wash that will soak in deep..next coat is only light thinned for a quick roll or brushing..I just 10 minutes ago finished putting two coats on the back sides of my newly made trim panels for the bz cp..

sealing the panels and any edge you cut while trimming to size should be sealed even though it will get overlapped with material..and do use a moisture barrier between the door and the panel..and if you mount speakers in the door as often the situation may dictate..do pocket them in a plastic vapor barrier also..at least drape them from the down to shield water that gets down the side of the glass when washing/raining