headlight switch-no lights

supertweet

seems the switch is not working, power at rear post, nothing anywhere else, have an old spare, can i bench test it, should i install it or hit the old one with electrical cleaner or carefully disassemble? thanks, Dave.

Spray the one in the truck with contact cleaner and push it in and out a bunch.

Push the dimmer switch on off /on off too.

use a multi-meter to check for continuity between the circuit breaker posts...probably wouldn't hurt to pry the tabs back carefully on the drawer switch and clean the contacts, then apply dielectric grease to get the switch back in working order.

ran power direct to switch and it worked fine, so it's this circuit breaker, think i can just pick one up tomorrow at napa or is there a repair? won't operate with direct power, (may cause it to fry?), will spray and clean up switch while we're under there, what a relief the 64 yr old switch works, what quality eh! thx, Dave.

alright glad i can get one. will check and install more grounds, never had a problem before this but there must be a reason, age, moisture,ground etc. the bead blast is an excellent idea, one small part at a time! thanks for support, will update and let ya know my next challenge with the old boy.thx Dave.

My local Auto/Electric Shop used their bead blast cabinet. In just a minute or two it looked brand new. After that applying dielectric grease wouldn't be a bad idea. Probably no need to search for a new switch without trying your best.

Hank :)

The switch I'd work on.The breaker, I'd replace.

replaced 30 amp breaker, $5.50 part, got it all together, back from country drive, next to pick up a 47 flathead that's in buddy's garage, so will test lights proper. think it's weather siezed, will assess and report asap. temp. gauge working after soldering on donor as per instructions provided, thanks, Dave.