spare tire carrier bolts

ggdad1951

Looks pretty close to the measurements of the ones that I pictured Mark.

I measured both of the ones that I pictured and they showed: 0.1000 and .430 measurements from mine for the first one that you show. 1965, 2970 and 3038, 1400 and 1371 for the second one that you show.

I'll try and see what I can chase up from my contacts here in Oz when I get back from out west after next week.

Desotodav

Looks pretty close to the measurements of the ones that I pictured Mark.

I measured both of the ones that I pictured and they showed: 0.1000 and .430 measurements from mine for the first one that you show. 1965, 2970 and 3038, 1400 and 1371 for the second one that you show.

I'll try and see what I can chase up from my contacts here in Oz when I get back from out west after next week.

Desotodav

I think I've got two sources now to machine these here so I think I'm good, this print is the ROUGH version, and I am measuring mine that is pretty corroded and still (after 3 weeks of Kroil and heat applications) stuck to the cut off & twisted bolt.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the info from Ed at post #14 - I finally removed one of my floor boards, removed my tire carrier bolt (which was the wrong way up) and installed it the right way. How good is the info on this forum hey!!!

Mark: did you get a result from your sources over there to make the wingnuts? I forgot all about chasing up with my contacts over here, but will get onto it within the week.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585365743537_thumb.jpg

Guys, my 78 Dodge D100 has a similar oversized nut with an ear on it to allow you to use a lug wrench through the ear to undo the spare. Might be something to think about. That and a little anti seize and you're good to go. Mike

Thanks to the info from Ed at post #14 - I finally removed one of my floor boards, removed my tire carrier bolt (which was the wrong way up) and installed it the right way. How good is the info on this forum hey!!!

Mark: did you get a result from your sources over there to make the wingnuts? I forgot all about chasing up with my contacts over here, but will get onto it within the week.

Desotodav

well in SS the nut would be about $400, yes $400, I'm thinking of doing a small investment casting run to make them "right" if the plain old carbon steel cost is too high. My guy is swamped right now and hasn't had a chance to run numbers yet...as in all things, waiting is driving me nutso!

McMaster DOES have an oversized wing nut, but it isn't the "same" as would be techincally original for our trucks.

steel

PN 92902A275 $37.56

18-8 stainless

PN 90750A200 $59.54

Well, I just couldn't wait - too much anxiety and being cheap-Ha Ha, I made up my own spare carrier wing nut and got it on my truck. Two hours start to finish. I should Cad plate it but-nah, it's good.

I added a very stiff cushion spring and a safety spring pin clip, just in case the wing nut were to back off. I also put a safety chain around the tire to the frame. Washington state is real tough on anything not fastened to a vehicle for road safety. I'm always extra safe with my stuff.

Bob

It's a bit distressed to look like an old original too!

wow that looks good, I've thought of doing that way as well...just a bit of grinding is all and you don't get the taper to the ears, but at a glace loooks original. Well done!

A couple days work with a laser cutter or water jet, aCNC to bore and tap holes and tig and welding jig, some grinder/sander work would get you about as many as you could sell and would look as good or better than most reproduction work does.

A couple days work with a laser cutter or water jet, aCNC to bore and tap holes and tig and welding jig, some grinder/sander work would get you about as many as you could sell and would look as good or better than most reproduction work does.

Yah, I'm sending out my model to a caster to see what the cost would be to investment cast some. Hopefully, and realisitically, that will be cheapest way to make a bunch of these.