Chrome

Fluid drive

Have any of the other brethren that contribute to this forum found a reliable re chrome shop? The last adventure I had was harrowing; I wound up sending a pair of bumpers back to the shop I used three times- Rock Island Plating . I've been thinking about having the bumper bars on my '36 Plymouth sedan refinihed but I do not want to go through the process of trial and terrible errors again.

Thanks!

Fluid Drive

I just picked up the bumpers for my 48 D24 yesterday and they are outstanding.

Had the work done by Metal Brite in Dayton, Ohio. They did a great job and they are "car guys".

I had trouble with chrome. I had my bumpers done for $300 @. I called all over the Los Angeles area and the price was the same. I was told it has something to do with the environment. I was told (and I don't know if this is true or not) that all the shops send the parts to Mexico so they don't have to deal with the environmental impact.

I don't know if this is true or not but the bumpers came back looking good.

In chrome plating, you get what you pay for. Cheap chrome looks cheap and doesn't last. Good chrome is labor intensive plus they have to deal with a lot of environmental regulations. Good chrome is therefore, expensive.

Advanced Chrome in TN is good, Advanced Custom Chrome in PA is good, Jon Wright's Custom Chrome in OH is great, expensive and slow. I've had good experience with all three of these.

You pay your money and you take your chances. :)

I forgot to mention the chrome shop I used for all my pot metal and smaller pieces and that was "Pot Metal Restorations" in Tallahassee Florida. He did the grill and quite a number of other pieces, all pot metal. He uses some sort of a special procedure for filling pits with a conductive filler, and then uses a really heavy coat of copper on top of that. I know show quality plating always includes a copper plate before the nickel, what I am talking about is a really HEAVY coat of copper. The finish result is flawless and very stable because of the heavy copper. The down side is for pieces that have to fit together, you sometimes get so much build up that the parts don't fit too well. I had to do some light grinding and sanding (areas that don't show) to get some of my pieces to fit together correctly.

I included a picture of the front of my car showing the freshly chromed grill and bumpers.

post-4053-13585361669723_thumb.jpg

I recently go an email from ALSA paint in California about there lates electrostatically applied paint that is then heat set to look pretty close to plating. if you have small parts you may consider trying it. I am if I can find a discarded oven to use for the heat. Hey Coatney can I use yours. Frank