Tow hitch

JIPJOBXX

Well Today I finally rap up my special tow hitch modification for the old Dodge. I will take some photos for any of you that want to check out how it is built and how it's attached. Should be good and strong as it attaches at five points.

I would like to see some detailed photos. On the '49 we needed to change the rear x-member due to some bending and rips so we built a very strong one for a hitch some day. While we had the trunk pan out fixing the rust we also added plates to box the frame in about 80% of the length from where the factory box stopped and just short of the spring perch.

Thanks, James

I'm experimenting with one of my down load photo programs and so I do not know if this will work?

https://picasaweb.google.com/jipjob/201105May?authkey=Gv1sRgCNes3PWiw9KzMw#

Well it works and now you can see how I attached a receiver hitch to the rear frame and also the rear bumper. The brackets that are used for the main support bar front are from set of bumper springs that hold on the bumper. Very hard steel and strong! All the fasteners are grade 5 or 8 and I think if you count them there are 10 on the front beam and on the rear beam there are two plus ffor the support beam that run from the bumper. Also there is a grade five bolt that secures the center of the bumper to the attachment fixture for the hitch. I kind over over killed it a little but I did not want to weld on the frame so all the holes that I used are original or drilled. Those helper springs really help out also with the old trailer that I have. Its kind of an overkill for such a small trailer but I did not want it to fall oft or have an accident. The trailer weighs in at about 1200 lbs and the hitch weight is about 130 lbs or so. As you can see I haft to tighten up the plug on the gas tank and also wipe down the rear axel housing.

Edited by JIPJOBXX

I do not understand what your saying? Its bolted solid to the frame and the bumper where else can I attach it to? Its has verticle fastners on the cross member and side fastners on the main frame also. The bumper has fastners comming out forward and the one bolt also secures that area also.

Edited by JIPJOBXX

all I saw was a single plane mount..there are no braces to support the tongue weight..these braces should come from the lower part of the receiver and travel forward and mount to the frame..this will prevent any possible rocking action you will get from starting and stopping with a load on the hitch...the mounting to the rear center of the bumper bracket is great to check lateral movement

I may sound like a broken record because I've mentioned this before. But, if you have collector car insurance make real sure you're covered if you pull a trailer. Most don't and you won't find the exclusion in your policy because they put it in the application. you probably won't remember checking the "no" box about pulling a trailer when you filled out the application years ago, but they consider it getting the policy by fraud and it's void from inception.

this includes Hagerty, Grundy and others.

I hope I'm not a pest, but it's not well known and if it saves one person from a disaster it's worth it.

Never would have thought of the towing exclusion. Haven't insured my 49 yet, but it will most likely be on my regular policy. Full coverage on my 69 D100 V8/auto only added $189 for 6 months, replacement value $7K. Not bad for a $1k work truck. The quote to add the 49 with the same coverage, $10k replacement value was only $89 for 6 months. And no usage restrictions except commercial (which would add a couple hundred bucks a year).

None of the collector car insurers would cover my trucks or my stepson's 1954 Ford (of England) Squire (2 door estate car). No garage, just carports or barn.

Never would have thought of the towing exclusion. Haven't insured my 49 yet, but it will most likely be on my regular policy. Full coverage on my 69 D100 V8/auto only added $189 for 6 months, replacement value $7K. Not bad for a $1k work truck. The quote to add the 49 with the same coverage, $10k replacement value was only $89 for 6 months. And no usage restrictions except commercial (which would add a couple hundred bucks a year).

None of the collector car insurers would cover my trucks or my stepson's 1954 Ford (of England) Squire (2 door estate car). No garage, just carports or barn.

Who's your regular insurer? I couldn't get liability that cheap for my '92 convertible and '89 Jeep back in 2007 through my regular insurer so put them on collector insurance that insured 15 year old cars.