218 or 230 motor needed

Robin (UK)

My friend, who owns my ex coupe, has a major problem with the motor.

He is trying to decide whether to rebuild or replace.

Does anyone have a good original or rebuilt motor for sale?

Or can you point us in the right direction?

Thanks.

Robin.

I would check with all the old army vehicle clubs you have over there. Those old rigs had straight six's in them and I bet you could come up with someone that has a few spares. I know over here there is a company in the mid west that sells rebuilt and nos engines that they got over in the far east.

So I would imagine that the same thing would be true in England or Europe. Can you imagine the amount of old rigs that went through England during the second world war? So I bet you there still allot of those old spare engine still around.

You could probably find a nice engine here in the states that runs good at a reasonable price. However, after you pay for crating, shipping and customs the price would probably be more than it would cost to rebuild the old engine.

That's what I would do. I would stick with the engine that's in the car now and rebuild it. It would probably be cheaper in the long run and you know exactly what you have then. I could have bought a running engine cheaper than rebuilding mine. However, I rebuilt the one I had and I know it's all new in there now, and just what was done.

Hi Guys,

You are going through all the same thought processes we have already been through.

Trouble is, machining and parts work out so costly over here so, that even with the shipping costs, it might work out cheaper (and easier) to ship a complete motor from the states.

We know people who import cars, so can possibly piggy-back the shipment in one of their containers.

At the moment we're just looking at options.

Again, any help or pointers much appreciated.

Robin.

Robin,

I live near the east coast (Ieastern PA) and have a complete but disassembled 218 engine that, although very dirty, is in excellent shape. The cylinder bores show less than 0.003-inch taper, which is excellent, and the crankshaft is perfect. You would need pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets to make this engine like new. The only machining necessary would be to touch up the valves and check the guides for wear - valve train is still assembled.

Best part is the pride - you may have this engine for picking it up. If I can be helpful in getting it somewhere nearby for shipping, just let me know.

If Robin does not use this engine, it is still available to anyone else on this forum who can use it for the same high price.:):D:P

There is an engine (out of a P210 sic) currently on ebay. It is located in Nova Scotia and is complete with tranny and ebrake. Says it was rebuilt 18 years a go and never installed Seller says it is set up. Search 194* Plymouth.

Being in Canada wonder if the shipping, duties and customs charges would be less than coming from the US????

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice and offers of motors.

Bryan is still making up his mind about which way to go - rebuild or replace.

The engine is coming out this week and then it can be stripped to see the state of play.

I will keep you posted.

It's great to know the support is out there. Much appreciated.

R.

PS we were quoted 1800 Pounds plus taxes for a rebuilt ex-NATO Dodge motor. That works out to over $4100... PHEW!!!